Sourland and the Princess meet noro virus

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sourland, Jun 15, 2011.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We're back. Day five was spent docked in Linz, Austria with a day trip to Salzburg. It was a beautifull day! About 8 PM the Princess became violently ill with a gastrointestinal upset causing violent purging. I cared for her, cleaned up after her, and yes, gloated that I was not getting ill. At 12:15 AM it was my turn. I have never been so ill in my entire life!!!! Trust me when I say that I could have had both an upper GI series and a colonoscopy with no obstruction after the purging. Day 6 was spent cruising the Wachau Valley and we slept. As quickly as it came it was gone, and within 36 hours we were back to normal. Approximately 45 % of the ship became ill over a 5 or 6 day period. This is the only time I have ever returned from a vacation weighing less than when I left.[​IMG]

Other than this, it was a great trip. Fellow pasengers were courteous, non abrasive, interesting folks. Europeans in general and the Austrians in particular were pleasant and upbeat. Cities, unlike those in America, were spotless, and the food was outstanding. All in all a great trip that did not warrant all of my "pre trip" agonizing. [​IMG] And no, Gritsar, the Gypsies did not turn me into the blood sucking vampire that you threatened me with. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Glad you had a good time..... mostly!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yay! Glad you're back, safe and sound! Sorry y'all had to deal with the nasty virus, no fun at all. [​IMG]

Very happy you enjoyed most of your trip, I loved visiting Europe. The cities really are cleaner, the villages are pristine. The only people who were rude to me were the other foreigners, mostly from countries that for one reason or another hated Americans as a rule. That was in the late seventies, so politics really played a big part of it.

I was also very impressed with the efficiency of daily life- Most homes are smaller than ones here, and they have managed to live with less space quite well. LOL, one of the features I really liked was the fully tiled bathrooms - to clean it, you just hose it down with the shower attachment, there's a drain in the floor to whisk all the soapy water away!

Uhm, sour? You might want to keep your head down for a few days, there are more than a few people looking for the Gypsy Broody Wizard! [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    With your "virus" hitting that fast and ending that quickly, and since 45% of the travelers got it... are you sure it wasn't some kind of food poisoning?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Haven't discounted that possibility, but since outbreaks took place over a period of a week from the first incident I don't know? Later cases were much less severe as if the virus were attenuating. All I know for sure is that this was as ill as this 70 year old body has ever felt. First I thought that I might die, and then I was scared that I might live. I weigh 10 pounds less than when we left, and I wasn't overweight to start with.

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is the main reason I am not interested in going on a cruise, anywhere, ever. My children and their schools are pits of infection enough as it is.

I'm glad you had a good time otherwise, though, Sourland, and that you and the princess are home safely.

7. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:Haven't discounted that possibility, but since outbreaks took place over a period of a week from the first incident I don't know? Later cases were much less severe as if the virus were attenuating. All I know for sure is that this was as ill as this 70 year old body has ever felt. First I thought that I might die, and then I was scared that I might live. I weigh 10 pounds less than when we left, and I wasn't overweight to start with.

This reminds me of my dad describing his first deployment with the Royal Navy:

"For the first few days, I thought I was going to die. For the next few days, I wished I would."

Sorry you got sick, but I'm so glad that you managed to enjoy yourselves, in spite of it.

[​IMG]

Now, where are the pictures????? [​IMG]

Pictures of the scenery, not the [​IMG]

8. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome home, sorry you were sick.

Imp