Sous Vide Rooster

jjaazzy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Davie, Fl
Has anyone tried to Sous Vide their roosters? I like the extra volume of water that I get from boiling them all day and sometimes even more the next day when I prepare large stock pots of soup for family. I was wondering tho on the idea of doing Sous Vide that tough rooster might be more tender cooked via Sous Vide for the occasional chicken for dinner routine. Of course, I would not have all that stock that I enjoy turning into great soups. Now I am perplexed even asking this question. Anyway, what do you think have you done it?

I haven't done this with my own birds, but I can confirm that sous vide does wonders for store bought chicken and even turkey. Drop some butter in there and sous vide at 165F for like 2 hours. Should come out perfectly cooked and very tender.

*Of note with the turkey, the meat was very delicious, but looked a bit strange. Got more pale than I was expecting.

I haven't done this with my own birds, but I can confirm that sous vide does wonders for store bought chicken and even turkey. Drop some butter in there and sous vide at 165F for like 2 hours. Should come out perfectly cooked and very tender.

*Of note with the turkey, the meat was very delicious, but looked a bit strange. Got more pale than I was expecting.
Yes, you miss that golden glow. Some folks torch it afterwards. You know I have to share that I Sous Vide my Spiral Ham for Christmas. Holy cow will not heat up a ham any other way till the end of time. I just used the bag that the ham came in and put it in another bag for insurance that first bag failed, it didn't. Started it in the morning, set just below the temp they said it was done at - probably 5-10 degrees. Let it go from morning till serving time. FANTASTIC! So moist, not salty (cause all the juices were intact) can't stop eating it good. when I took it out I covered it with the bagged cinnamon clove glaze and popped it into the oven broiler for a few min till I saw it was bubbling. DONE! The best. What a time saver, oven space saver, heat up the house saver. Try it!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to Sous Vide their roosters? I like the extra volume of water that I get from boiling them all day and sometimes even more the next day when I prepare large stock pots of soup for family. I was wondering tho on the idea of doing Sous Vide that tough rooster might be more tender cooked via Sous Vide for the occasional chicken for dinner routine. Of course, I would not have all that stock that I enjoy turning into great soups. Now I am perplexed even asking this question. Anyway, what do you think have you done it?
We did and were not impressed.

You could mince the rooster's meat for soup or meatballs, the taste is still great but it is easier to chew.

We did and were not impressed.

You could mince the rooster's meat for soup or meatballs, the taste is still great but it is easier to chew.
After I posted this I decided it's just as easy to keep a whole pot of water on the stove all day simmering, and have the benefit of the broth, as a pot set up for SV. I simmer them a very very long time and then I have enough stock for several kinds of soup.

We leave roosters up to the age of 2 years in the oven for 2-3 hours (depending on their weight) at 180°C, oiling them allover and later on pouring over their own gravy now and then, and they come out perfect. :drool

Back
Top Bottom