sous vide

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Jun 12, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    French for boil in a bag. : ) I bet ya'll have seen it on some of the cooking shows.

A lot of times if I vacum seal something already cooked I will reheat by just tossing the bag in some simmering water. We had some venison burgers for lunch today that I did that way and while I was eating it had a thought.

What about taking some venison round steak I have and cubing it up, brown in oil (or bacon grease), toss in a vacum seal bag with barbeque sauce, seal. Simmer the bag for several hours to tenderize.

Thoughts?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    sounds great I have been reading about that since someone on here suggested it . . . maybe you?
    I can't afford the darn machine but I have been thinking that I could make my own boil bags like you are saying, then boil seasoning and all [​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a quick way to do "omlettes" too...throw all the ingredients in a bag, mush it around and toss it in. I wonder about the nasty plastic chemicals leeching into the food though, it should be ok once in a while I expect.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i am a chef myself by profession, and have worked with alot of poaching, sous vide and the like

the bag wont cause anything, taste, chemicals w/e

honestly, i'd put the food in the bag raw, it will absorb the flavor instead of just sitting in it

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Today my plan came to fruition. We grilled hamburgers for the Fourth of July and I had a couple of venison steaks ready to go. I threw a few chunks of pecan wood on the charcoal to get some smoke and just grilled the steaks well done. After they were cool I cubed it up and put in the bags with sauce and froze.

First thing this morning I put a bag in a sauce pan full of water and let it simmer on the back of the stove for four hours.

The tenderizing effect was only moderate and less than I had expected. I ate a couple bites of the steak when I took it off the grill and it was surprisingly tender for venison round. It was a very fat yearling doe.

Still, imo, it is a "worth doing" kind of deal. If starting with some seriously whip leather tough meat it would need a considerably longer cook in the bag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by