South African Cranes?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by poultrylady, Jun 21, 2011.

1. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Does anyone have any of these or have you ever raised any? I am looking for any information on breeding and raising these beautiful birds. I can't seem to find much info on the internet on raising them. I need to know how much space a pair would need, what type of winter time shelter they need, etc... Thanks

2. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:There are 3 types of crane found in South Africa:

The Wattled Crane, the Blue Crane and the Grey-Crowned Crane.

3. poultrylady

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    The ones I have found and are interested in are the Grey South african crowned cranes.

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Worked with a pair at an aviary. Scary cranes! Really, our sandhills were sweet, but these guys did their best to peck your brain out through your eye socket. Just be aware that they can be dangerous when mature. Building a shift door and pen to shift them over to while cleaning isn't a bad idea. Ours had a dry pelleted Mazuri diet along with enrichment food items such as meal worms, greens, etc. Mice and I think chicks were part of their main diet on rotation. They need high pen walls if you want to keep them in a particular area, even when clipped or pinioned. The larger the pen you can give cranes, the better. They are active birds. If you build a shift pen, you can shift them inside for the winter. I can't remember what our lock in temps were for them. People love the look of them, and I love their calls.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have a pair of East African Crowned Cranes I got at 2 month olds. They were not hand raised but are use to seeing people, although they rarely want anything to do with me unless I have grapes or am doing something they shouldn't be in. I pinioned them and then allow them to roam my backyard. Since they grew up here they have not tried to jump the fence, but they easily could if startled. They get along with a few chickens, some geese, swan and a young emu here at the house. They grew up with them also. They do very funny things and are fun to watch. they will come close to get grapes, knock on the back door and take off running, balance on things and if you leave anything in the yard they will have it spread out every where and start dancing around it. The only treats mine like are grapes, and some green lettuce. They eat a diet mix of flock raiser, game bird chow and dog food or catfish chow. They spend a lot of time grazing and eating bugs. They like to stand or lay in a kiddie pool of water. they can be dangerous when handled, they go for eyes and mouth so i always hold their beak and legs when relocating. Mine are only about 6 months old, so I don't know how their adult behavior is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. poultrylady

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Thank you for the pictures and information, that was helpful. I didn't know they could be mean, and it really surprises me that you have the running loose in your yard. I see you live in Fla. so I quess you don't have top worry about wintertime, do you happen to know how well the handle the cold? I was told they need a heated building in the winter?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It may be different if you find hand raised ones, but for the most part when they feel threatened they will peck at you. I have been told they will get aggressive during breeding season as they age, mine's parents could be but they were caged and not hand raised. They do not bother me when I'm outside, they walk the other direction unless I have something or am doing something that interests them. I have a few old posts on here about their funny adventures, and even thou they are not "pet" birds I would not trade them for anything, their humorous ways keep me entertained....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by