South African Mixed Flock - De-worm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allears, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Advice on what to use and how much please guys:

1x embden goose about 13kg
    1x muscovey/mallard about 3kg
    2x white leghorn roos about 5kg
    3 x Egyptian Goose gos about 8 weeks old
    11 x egyptian goose gos about 4 weeks old
    1 x yellow billed duck about 10 weeks old

They have never been dosed for worms...

I've also got 6 leopard torts, so if the muti goes in water, what will duration of course be because torts will have to be moved....

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It depends on what type of wormers are available there in your country, Levamisole is available in many parts of the world, but if you can find albendazole, fenbendazole, Worm Out Gel, or flubendazole (Flubenvet,) I would use one of those since they are safer. Let us know what you can get, and we can then help with dosage.

3. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Thanks so much for the responding, I'm not sure what's available so I'm hoping one of my countrymen, or women will be able to guide [​IMG]Our nearest co-op's only stock feed.

4. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    The reason I'm thinking of dosing now is because my one roo is breathing with his mouth open. No noise or discharge. Maybe he's just feeling the heat more because he's the bigger of the two. The two boys are rescues from a battery operation and they would have been culled as day old chicks. Was told they wouldn't live long, but they seem healthy and happy except their legs don't seem "normal" and they don't run, they kind of hop-gallop.
    [​IMG]Chester and Russell Crow. Russell open mouth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Open mouth again.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Heat and being over weight can cause open mouth breathing, and they may hold their wings out from the body. One of the wormers I omitted is piperazine which will only treat large round worms, the most common worm in chickens. Try your feed or farm stores where goat and cattle wormers are sold. They may have fenbendazole (SafeGuard) available. Ivermectin has been used in the past for chickens, but most worms have developed resistance to it, although it is still listed in the literature. Here are some links to read:
    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

6. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Thanks very much! You mention being overweight too, do my boys look chubby? The crops are full cos they've just had supper.... split mielies and they free range for the rest with the occasional pasta treat.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do they get a balanced chicken feed around 16-20% protein for their basic diet? Table food, treats, should only make up for 10% of the total diet for the best health. Many chickens look puffy, but when they are handled, they may not be that heavy. Feeling of their breast bone is a good way to gauge if they are underweight or overweight.

8. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Thank you for your advise. I feed 3 cups of split corn to the 2 chickens, goose, duck and wild doves. The chickens get the bulk of the corn because they move FAST when it comes to food. The goslings get a cup of broiler mash sludge. Treats for chickens are pasta scraps once a week and a handful of mealworms every other week which is a free for all. The birds are all free range in a 12x14m yard with access to natural food and they are very active. I'm guessing I'll have to start feeding the chickens seperately?

9. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    The girls are apparently Cornish x game, Plymouth Rock hybrids, the farm wouldn't give me the actual crossing though. My girls are serously overweight (should only weigh around 3kg [​IMG] and I have to cut down to 260g food per day, or the meat will outgrow the bone structure [​IMG] Thanks for your input, you've probably saved my chickens lives!

10. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel

You have Cornish cross and if you wont limit their food intake they will grow so much that they could not stand and will suffer from liver and hurt problems! You should give them only 100-120 grams of feed daly, and some greens and live them free range.
    If you can't find a veterinarian dewormer, you could do what I have done here successful and use a hunan dewormer. I have used mebendazole or in its generic name- Vermox
    Reed this link
    http://www.rxlist.com/vermox-drug.htm
    The dosage is 30mg/kg buddy Weight and another time after 10 dayes.
    Good luck
    Benny

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by