South African Newbee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MalcolmDee, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MalcolmDee

MalcolmDee New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Hello,

My name is Malcolm and I live on a small holding just outside Johannesburg in South Africa.

My wife, Monica, and I are looking to raise some chickens to provide us with fresh eggs from birds that are humanely kept and treated.

We are novices and still researching how to best build out runs and the birds living quarters as well as where to source our birds. We are considering to start with a few rescued battery birds, before trying our hand at some of a local heirloom breed.

Regards,

Malcolm

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, it is always good to help battery birds, do you know what kind of breeds you are going to go with?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Malcolm and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Malcolm, you might put "South Africa," in the search box to see if there is a thread you could post on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by