South Austin with a NEED to rehome some gorgeous young boy birds

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by JudithKerlin, Nov 25, 2013.

1. JudithKerlin

JudithKerlin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Here in South Austin, center of the universe for eccentric urban chickenkeeping! Other cities have garden tours for a neighborhood to show off their gorgeous yards. Here we have COOP TOURS!

Alas I have a need all too common.... a need for a good home for a couple of roosters. Our recent hatch of 5 yielded 4 boys. Beautiful, healthy Easter Egger-mix iridescent black and warm goldenbrown accent feathers. The littlest onehatched in my hands and imprinted on me, so we ended up raising them in 2 batches: one with the mama chicken, 2 boys and the sole girl Tidbit, and the other with me, mostly sleeping in a biggish cage by my bed. So, what we have now is two sets of brothers brooded together who won't fight with their broodmate, but when I allow all of them to pen together, the bigger 2 give Littlest Red Rooster horrid peckings until I separate them. He makes this sad little creeling noise the minute he SEES the big pen-- mamamamamamama don't throw me in there!

I know the most common fate for excess male chickens. If I cannot find homes that want a Harem Daddy, the Big Brothers can go someplace that will care for them well right up until the sudden end. But if there is ANY possibility of a spot where Little Red Rooster and his *gorgeous* bigger brother can go and enjoy being defender of a flock of actual hens, that would be alI pray for this Christmas. LittleRed is the typical reddish brown of an Easter Egger, with some iridescent black around his neck, while his brother is gorgeous iridescent black with a mirroring collar of dark-gold-brown neck feathers. They sleep together in a coop just fine, and when they get out into a big pen they'll do a little jousting where they fluff up their necks and bounce chests, but they've never hurt each other to my knowledge. Not enough hens to go 'round! These two are fairly tame,having been close to people since hatching. The others have had less interaction, but are also OK with cooping together and don't peck to draw blood.

Maintaining two separate spaces, day and night, for Big Daddy Bird and his teenage sons is troublesome but manageable-- maintaining THREE separate spaces, safe and warm at night, spacious and comfortable by day, is running me ragged. Take a boy bird or two, please, please, either for next Easter chicken dinner, or a pair of brothers to watch your hens all day!

Email me at [email protected] if you can give a home to a boy bird or two. They can be seen over on the pictures of chicken forum, in the thread "unusual colouration", pictures six weeks old. I'm holding Little Red Rooster in one, and his eyes are all scaredy because he doesn't want me to drop him to roam free 'mongst the other juveniles, they'reall so BIG!

praying for responses although I don't usually bug the Deity over matters of merely personal urgency,
    Judith

2. JudithKerlin

JudithKerlin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Now the pair of iridescent-black roos are fighting with their little sister to the extent that I must keep them separate as well. Currently using second half-bath as recovery room for her poor pecked-up self. SItuation getting even more complicated-- I wanted to keep the single hen, who is a sweet docile little thing happy to settle down and roost on lap-- but at this point I'd let ANY of the juveniles go simply to relieve the strain of keeping them separate to avoid fighting!

Tidbit (the hen) sat on my lap last night to watch the documentary on PBS about the remarkable fellow who raised a flock of wild turkeys from hatching-- it's called "My Life As a Turkey" and contains *marvelous* footage of them hatching and imprinting on the man, who sat near with his face at hatch-level and clucked and crooned so that the wet emergent babies locked eyes, identified him as Mama and went straight for him to cuddle up against his cheek and fall asleep. Somehow he arranged his life so that he could spend every moment with the flock; after losing one to a rat snake when he left them alone for half an hour he decided that "turkey mother" was a job that started right before dawn and lasted till after sunset. More awesome footage of him sitting on a chair in the big coop at sunset, as all fifteen of the turkey bitties settle down all over him like a blanket and they all drift off to sleep together. The man's head is slumping down into sleep just as the turkeys' beaks do the same. He walked the woods with them every day all day till they were grown up and all scattered to lead adult turkey lives.

Anyway Tidbit was fascinated by all the turkey noises coming from the TV and tried to keep up a conversation. She's very verbal in a soft low volume way, lots or chirrrrrrups and creels, and she *loves* it when you talk back by imitating her.

judith

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by