South Brunswick Township NJ allows Backyard Chickens!!!

Coop de Grass

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 30, 2015
South Brunswick, New Jersey
:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee
One December 8 2018 South Brunswick Township granted our variance to keep chickens (8) on our 1 acre lot! :celebrate

No roos... and when each hen died they could not be replaced... well, I thought that was better than nothing. My plan was to use the summer I would see if we could get the zoning ordinance changed for everyone.

I didn't have to do anything more... they changed it after our variance was passed. Chickens are allowed on a 1/4 acre and up as long as you follow the requirements! :clap:clap:clap

Here is a link to the current ordinance:

https://library.municode.com/nj/sou.../code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH14AN_ARTIVSTKECH

Lesson: It only takes one person to do change something. I almost didn't file for the variance, but my husband and my father encouraged me. I did everything the township required when they served me with the notice. I wish that I had filed before I sold my first flock, but I kept the eggs in the incubator so I had the start of a flock. I gave up my business part of the clucks, and I miss having chicks, but all in all it is good.

The best part is the dumb cluck across the street was not allowed to block us. All of our adjacent neighbors miss hearing my roosters, but that is a fight that I won't win... Happy Backyard FlockS!:frow

:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee
One December 8 2018 South Brunswick Township granted our variance to keep chickens (8) on our 1 acre lot! :celebrate

No roos... and when each hen died they could not be replaced... well, I thought that was better than nothing. My plan was to use the summer I would see if we could get the zoning ordinance changed for everyone.

I didn't have to do anything more... they changed it after our variance was passed. Chickens are allowed on a 1/4 acre and up as long as you follow the requirements! :clap:clap:clap

Here is a link to the current ordinance:

https://library.municode.com/nj/sou.../code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH14AN_ARTIVSTKECH

Lesson: It only takes one person to do change something. I almost didn't file for the variance, but my husband and my father encouraged me. I did everything the township required when they served me with the notice. I wish that I had filed before I sold my first flock, but I kept the eggs in the incubator so I had the start of a flock. I gave up my business part of the clucks, and I miss having chicks, but all in all it is good.

The best part is the dumb cluck across the street was not allowed to block us. All of our adjacent neighbors miss hearing my roosters, but that is a fight that I won't win... Happy Backyard FlockS!:frow
Te no allowing roosters is gender discrimination and should be taken as a chicken gender violation.

Back
Top Bottom