South Carolina Chickadee!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jessicagray, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Orpington

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Silver Laced Wyandotte

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Rhode Island Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jessicagray

jessicagray Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    Upstate SC
    Hello All!

I'm in the research process at the moment, so I'm reading "Raising Chickens for Dummies!" lol I have learned a lot so far...I didn't know how much detail was involved in raising chickens but am really looking forward to it! I know it's going to be a very rewarding experience! Here is my plan of action so far (please let me know if I should add anything to my list):

1. Read "Raising Chickens for Dummies"
    2. Find a local hatchery (if you have any suggestions around upstate SC or NC, let me know!) (Also, should I get 8 wk old chicks with winter approaching or wait until spring?)
    3. Begin building my A-frame chicken coop (I found plans, yes!)
    4. Buy/make all the little things in between (feeders, food storage, bedding storage)
    5. Buy chickens!

Like I said, please let me know what I should add! Thank you for your help!

2. Maker

Maker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2015
    Kansas City
    Welcome! I just got my chicks last week! I think now is a great time to get them as there is a waiting period to get eggs and I might as well do it when the adult ones aren't laying as many due to there not being much sunlight in winter.. My run isn't complete, but they'll be in the brooder for quite awhile yet, so you have time. The later in the year, the fertility of the hatching eggs go down, so most hatcheries aren't taking many orders anymore this year.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Study the forums. question away, and plan - you will be successful. Locate your state thread and communicate with your 'neighbors'. They may be able to help you locate some started pullets.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!!
    Sounds like you've got a plan!! All of the breeds you have on the poll I have either owned or own right now. I can't decide on which one to vote for between Orpingtons and Silver laced Wyandottes [​IMG] both are great breeds to start with! You might like to stop by the North Carolina thread or the South Carolina thread to meet fellow Caroline-rs (is that what your called [​IMG]). Please feel free to make yourself at home!

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Why not have a couple of each, you'll have a great mixed flock that way!

Thanks for joining us [​IMG]

6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've owned all three of the breeds on your poll and they're all great breeds, but given a choice between the three I like the Orpingtons the best. All three breeds are good layers, but in my personal experience, the Orpingtons with their calm and gentle personalities generally have the best temperament of the three. My children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) never had a problem making lap pets of our Orpingtons. You might also want to consider getting 2 or even all three breeds. If they are raised together, they will get along well together and you can decide for yourself which breed you like the best. Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle as well as good layers are Australorps, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

9. jessicagray

jessicagray Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    Upstate SC
    Thank you for all of the feedback and all of the warm welcomes! I'll be sure to subscribe to the SC threads and reach out to others in my area! I'm so excited to be a part of this community! Yay!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. sadieml

sadieml New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Blythewood SC, USA
    Welcome to BYC. I'm new here, too and live in Blythewood SC. This is definitely a place to get tons of excellent help and advice. Not to mention just sharing with like-minded souls. I highly recommend the mixed-flock approach if you aren't sure what you want. That's probably what we're gonna do. :D

Also, to Chicken Girl1, we're South Carolinians, or Sandlappers. Not that it really matters. My daughter loves making jokes out of that kind of thing, like South Carolina-ites, South Carolina-landers or South Carolina-ers. The more unpronounceable, the better. And extra syllables, LOTS of extra syllables. I must confess, she gets it from me. I like to say aminals, I mean manimals, mamniminals, you know, mamnimilaminals, uh, critters. ;P

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by