1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

South Carolina Gamecock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tothemoon, Sep 4, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    My DH wants to know what kind of bird is the Carolina Gamecock??? And does anyone have just a rooster for sale of that breed?

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    OEG? Maybe?
    For certain a gamecock is everything not a Clemson tiger [​IMG] Sorry, had to say it, mom's a gamecock alum, I'm a tiger alum....

ETA, american gamecock possibly?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:It could be any gamefowl really (except orientals, wrong looks), Old english, American, Spanish etc.. But I'd go with American gamefowl since they're the most common (in the states anyway).

4. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks! Ill have to look at some pics and see if he likes any of them.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:There's a breed page here on BYC.

6. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    A gamecock is a type of rooster with physical and behavioral traits derived from breeding for cockfighting. Gamecocks are usually much more territorial, have less prominent combs and wattles (which may be removed entirely in a process called dubbing), and have hard feathering. There are numerous chicken breeds that fit the gamecock type, but a gamecock is not in itself a breed.[​IMG]

7. jfernandez

jfernandez New Egg

Nov 28, 2015
    Anybody have any Madagascar game fowl looking to buy some can't find any anywhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by