1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

(South Carolina) looking for chix

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BuckHead, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BuckHead

BuckHead New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    hello everybody!
    I am new to the site, but hopefully someone here can point me in a direction that will bring a smile to my sons face(11yr old). My son, had about 50 chicks that he cared for. This was not a fly by night adventure, he had them for about 3 years. Quite a variety too!!-- blue cochin bantams, frizzles, barred frizzles, games, etc etc. He had soo many different kinds and he crossed them and sold some, and kept most of them..LOL.. Well, you get the idea- he was a little chicken farmer who found a lot of enjoyment in his chickens. Unfortunately, his father and I split up and he would not allow us to take my son's chickens with us. His father, was not into the chickens like he was, and just denied our son having them out of revenge to me. Long story short- his father did not feed nor water them and everyone of them died. (animal control,police, etc were no help at all--so much for the system huh?). I felt horrible, and like it was my fault. However, we were just starting over and I could not bring in more chickens, do to the fact that we did not have a proper place for them. Now, we have a nice sized place in the country and I am looking for some chickens!! *yayayaya*-- I am doing my best to suprise my son!
    I do not have a lot of money to spend on purchasing them, and the breed of chicken really doesn't matter at this time. I would like him to have some hens and roosters (age really does not matter either). So, if there is anyone out there that can help-please contact me!! I live in the Summerville/Walterboro area of South Carolina and do not mind driving a short distance. Thank you all so very much!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hello fellow Carolinian, I'm just down the road in Hollywood. [​IMG]

I usually get chicks at the feed store on 17A, just east of S'ville. But, and there's always a but, they usually don't get chicks in until just before Easter. Same story in Red Top. You can order online and have them shipped, or you might want to get an incubator and watch them hatch. There a lot of folks here who can guide you! [​IMG]

So sorry about your son's chickens, hope things go better from now on.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just sent you a pm.

4. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    I'm in Beaufort and have some chicks available...

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Any one near Greenwood, SC ? I would love to have some EE !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by