1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

South Dakota laws relating to poultry

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by SouthDakotan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

I am working to find out the laws relating to the rearing and selling of eggs and poultry in the state of South Dakota and within each of its towns. I'd like to see us "MAP" out what towns are friendly to poultry rearing and which ones have ordinances that prevent it. Which ones allow some types of poultry (and what they are) and which ones are currently looking at changing their ordinances, etc.

I have started by making contact with the Dept of Agriculture person relating to the sale of Eggs. This is what he has said:

Hi,
    I would be happy to answer your questions about selling eggs in South Dakota. If you are selling eggs your own egg production and the customer is coming to your farm to buy the eggs, you do not need to be licensed. However, if you are selling eggs at a farmers market, food service establishment, or retail outlet, then you are required to have a South Dakota Egg Dealers license and a SD Egg Candler/grader license. If you are interested in being licensed, please let me know and I will send you a licensing packet in the mail.

As far as your questions dealing with poultry and swaps, you would need to visit with the State Veterinarian with the Animal Industry Board. The contact person is Dr. Dustin Oedekoven. His phone # is 605-773-3321 or you can email their office with [email protected]

Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Gene Stegeman
    SD Dept. Agriculture
    Lab Evaluation Officer
    State Dairy Lab
    Box 2104 SDM 112
    Brookings, SD 57007
    P/F (605) 688-5491

[email protected]

2. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure but here is what he wrote me:

The following message was sent from the BestFarmBuys.com by EDWARD SWOPE (a visitor to BestFarmBuys.com). To contact EDWARD SWOPE please email [email protected] or call 605-360-7788.
    ----START MESSAGE----

hello, i just found your ad in bestfarmbuys. if you are still looking forlaying hens, i have some americauna hens i will sell. i hatched them myself last year, and they are starting to lay well this spring. i am near Madison if you would be interested. i have 15 or so for you to choose from. thank you.
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found he is also on Facebook using this email.

Anisah

3. aschwein

aschwein New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    Have you made any progress on the chicken-friendly map of South Dakota? I am in Vermillion and would like to organize a group to fight for urban chickens in our community. Maybe we could help each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by