1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

South Dakota rules

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by golden reeves, Feb 21, 2012.

1. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I would like to take some birds to the One Of A Kind Sale in Platte, SD this weekend but don't know their laws about imported poultry. Can anybody shed a little light on the subject?

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Are you testing your birds ahead of time? That might be the only thing I could see that would be problematic. I don't *think* there are any laws, but you could probably contact their extension service, or even the OOAK sale themselves may know. I've only ever brought birds back into the state, not brought them out to sell. What are you selling, if I may ask? I wanted to go to that sale, but it's just a bit too far for us, going to go to Pierz and Perham like we always do and then maybe go to some of the further away ones next year :)

3. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I have some reeves and golden pheasants I want to take. I can give the PT test but I don't know if I need vet papers or not. I know they would if they came here to sell but we have fairly strict rules.

4. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

South Dakota apparently has some strick laws regarding poultry sales. You may need to check with the State Vets. They've done quite a bit to prevent poultry being sold at the Livestock sales in the state and closed down Swaps altogether.

I know some ppl who have wanted to get some reeves and golden pheasants, but can't find them in state since most resources are closed down. The rules make it so we can't visit poultry farms either, due to "contamination" threats. SO this means they have to deliver but have no means to show them prior at sales barns. At least that is what I'm getting for info so far as I've been trying to locate places to buy.

What part of SW Minnesota are you in? Also what is your prices for your Reeves or Golden? I'm looking for a pair of juveniles, possibly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by