South Jersey in the house

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jerseyjack, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jerseyjack

Jerseyjack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Hello everyone! I just got this link yesterday from a friend who found out I have Spring chicks (hatched march 20). I have an 8x8 garden shed, I purchased from CL, that I plan to convert over to my coop. I have 14 Rhode Island Reds, all doing great! They are very friendly and curious, and have little or no fear once they recognize me.

The shed I referred to needs to be moved to allow for a good sized run. I'll be peckin some brains here for answers to some of my questions, hope y'all can help! I never tended for chickens b4, but the timing is now right, my new home has plenty of property and chickens are OK with the local law.

I purchased them directly from moyers chicks in quakertown, kept them all warm and comfy all the way home to their toasty brooder. They are set up in the seedling area, I have set up for my garden and they've been offered the extra sprouts that have germinated, but seem happy with the feed I bought from moyers (non-medicated chick starter) and haven't gone for any of the sprouts yet. Is it too early for them to eat sprouts?

If anyone has a similar sized shed that has been converted, I would love to see some pics! Also, although I have plenty of property, I need to set up on the west end of the garden area so I need to keep the run within reason(size), what would be the minimum sized run? I figure to make it about 1-1/2 times minimum.

I'm a little nervous about 14 hens, being my first time, but many of the eggs will be given to family and friends, I hope to learn all that is needed to keep these girls happy and healthy with your help, Thanks Jack

2. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Hello from Indiana

[​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us.

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] from West central NJ. Sourland George

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens