South Louisiana Newbie

Bonescanner

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2018
joining from just outside Baton Rouge. Bought a prefab coop from TSC and put three coats of water seal on it. Will be getting four hens in the next couple of weeks. Hope the coop lasts a while so I can build something more permanent once I learn more about what I want long term. Look forward to learning from you guys!

farmer-connie-welcome-v2.gif

G'Day from down under Bonescanner :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

Hi,
Welcome to BYC! I Live near you in Tickfaw, just north of Hammond, 6 tenths of a mile off I-55 and I have what I call Rainbow layers. Some people call they Easter Eggers. They lay large to jumbo eggs and a lot of them. I also raise White Holland Rare Heritage Turkeys, Pekin, and Rouen Ducks. and pedigree White New Zealand meat rabbits.
The poultry all are free run cage free now, but I want my carport back so we started to build coups and runs for them with coups under the extra space under the rabbitry roof and let the runs go from there, out 20 or 30 feet. Some of the runs will be covered with shade cloth over the chicken wire runs and some in the open.
One advice I have for you is when you put the bottom run boards up, use 2x8 or 2x12 and fill everything to the top of these boards with sand. The frequent rain we get will wash the droppings into the sand and it will stay much cleaner.
We have too many chickens, so I am selling 8 to 10-month-old pullets, that are already laying lots of eggs, for $20 each and with 8, we throw in a free rooster if they want one.
I hatch out the nicest largest blur and green eggs and sell the chicks for $2 and less depending on how many they buy. After the pullets reach their hen stage the eggs are large. I also have a few that lay brown eggs. and the light brown eggs are all extra large jumbo.

What breed chickens will you be raising?

We also barter livestock and garden space for help finishing the coops and runs, because at 70, and both Hubby and I are disabled and have serious back trouble. All the posts are already up, it's just stretching and stapling the chicken wire to the posts and runner boards and designing 4 coups for the 4 sections under the roof and the nest boxes. Hubby can't do it alone and I have no strength in my hands to help and it takes 2 people to roll out the chicken wire. We have equipment so it's not labor intensive, it just takes 2 people. The picture you see here is the very beginning or the 40x40 rabbitry and roof the coops will be under. If we can ever get it completed, it will have a fully automated watering system for all the livestock and large feed shoots leading to the poultry pens. I will post the finished pictures when it gets finished!

What design do you have for your chickens? How many will you keep? Are you building a permanent coop or a chicken tractor? You can see a lot of designs in the coop forums as well as tractors.
Again, WELCOME! Hope you post some pictures as you build?

Back
Top Bottom