1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

South Mississippi transplant

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Travis Harl, May 21, 2016.

1. Travis Harl

Travis Harl New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Thanks for all the welcomes. I am retired with 4 grandkids. I got online to answer a few questions about chickens and stumbled onto this website. I found it very friendly and informative so decided to become a member.I had chickens before but just "had"them. I am interested in raising them right and teach the grandkids at the same time. I'll be asking a lot of questions so please bare with me. Also, I am pretty much computer illiterate so please bare with me there too.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Travis Harl

Travis Harl New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Thanks. I have a question to get started and see if I'm doing this right. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. I have 3 nests for tnem to lay in. I let the eggs build up in 2 of them,trying to get them to start setting. One of my Amerocanas started but went from one nest to the other. I pulled the eggs out of one nest and she has continued in the other. My question is, can I move her and the nest to a brood pen(I have yet to build) without her quitting the eggs?

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Travis and welcome to BYC. It may be better to let her hatch where she is, and the move them to the brooder pen.

Good luck
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can date the eggs with soft pencil so you will know if other hens are contributing to the pile. You can remove any that you haven't dated. Otherwise you will have a staggered hatch with some hatching early and others not for a few days. Hens tend to hatch a few chicks and abandon any eggs that haven't hatched yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by