South MS and AL Breeders?

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
Howdy. I'm in Mississippi, about 50 miles uphill from the Gulf near the Bama line. I'm looking for other breeders in my area, just to find out who's around. I'd like to source and sell my birds more locally going forward, but I haven't had much luck here or on Facebook. I've also checked with some of the breeder organizations.

I'm convinced that there are a few more breeders around. I just need to beat the bushes until I find them.

So: Do y'all know any any breeders in this neck of the woods? Say within 1-2 hours of Mobile or Pascagoula?

Many thanks!
V

Technically, I'm just in range (2hr, 2 min from Mobile), and technically I'm an NPIP participating breeder recognized by the State and the Feds (my hobby farm is registered with the Dept of AG), but I don't currently sell my mutts, they aren't ready for commerce yet, Will be a few more years, most likely, before I'll consider it.

When I started two years ago, there were a couple breeders down close to Pensacola, one of whom had a recognized flock in the industry, but I've not been able to locate him and suspect he either passed or sold off his flock to others.

Locally, this part of the State (judging by Craigslist, FB Market, and Google searches) is now dominated by moms and pops of unknown quality and genetic heritage and by Tractor Supply/Ace Hardware.

Sorry I don't have better news, hopes I am subsequently proven wrong.

Technically, I'm just in range (2hr, 2 min from Mobile), and technically I'm an NPIP participating breeder recognized by the State and the Feds (my hobby farm is registered with the Dept of AG), but I don't currently sell my mutts, they aren't ready for commerce yet, Will be a few more years, most likely, before I'll consider it.

When I started two years ago, there were a couple breeders down close to Pensacola, one of whom had a recognized flock in the industry, but I've not been able to locate him and suspect he either passed or sold off his flock to others.

Locally, this part of the State (judging by Craigslist, FB Market, and Google searches) is now dominated by moms and pops of unknown quality and genetic heritage and by Tractor Supply/Ace Hardware.

Sorry I don't have better news, hopes I am subsequently proven wrong.
Nice to meet you, and thanks for the reply. That’s consistent with what I’m finding around here, too. Lots of people have chickens, but few are looking at it from the perspective of establishing a breeding program that can actually improve local stock. But I’ll keep looking!

I’m just getting started on my project again, but my goal is develop a breeding program for a couple of dual purpose heritage breeds. Ultimately I would love to see a local-ish network of like-minded folks with their own micro-breeding programs, so we could swap/sell/buy between ourselves.

I checked out your mutt project thread. Very cool! I love the idea of selective hybridization, but I only just heard of it. (Well, that’s not strictly true because my grandparents kept their flock that way. It wasn’t formalized, but they kept the birds that produced and ate the rest, regardless of breed.)

Good luck with your birds!

THANK YOU for the kind words. I plan on being around BYC for a long time to come, and will continue my project - I've already stuck with it longer than most. You are certainly welcome to follow along.

In a few years, if I have anything worth selling, we have similar climates. I'd not be opposed to someone starting a "sister flock" in a different state.

THANK YOU for the kind words. I plan on being around BYC for a long time to come, and will continue my project - I've already stuck with it longer than most. You are certainly welcome to follow along.

In a few years, if I have anything worth selling, we have similar climates. I'd not be opposed to someone starting a "sister flock" in a different state.
Excellent. Let’s keep in touch. Who knows? Sometimes things have a way of working out. I’d be interested in helping out if all the stars align. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom