South Texas and baby chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by capthollis, Oct 26, 2012.

1. capthollis

capthollis Out Of The Brooder

This morning I got my 25 baby chicks in "Australops". I've got them in a brood box with a Red light heat lamp, water food, and they seem to be doing fabulous! My question is that tonight it'll get around 48 degrees, they are out of the wind, but will that light sustain the heat that they need through the night? The brooding box is approx 4' long, 3' wide, and 3' tall. I stuck my hand under the light, and its really warm, and like I said there doing good.
    Thanks
    I did line the whole bottom of the box with hay.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They'll be fine. IMO it's a lot more important to have area they can get away from the heat than too much heat. Sounds like your brooder is a good size, be sure to put the food and water at the opposite end from the heat in the "cool" area.

I had a broody hatch babies this fall, at a week old the babies were running around in 45 degree weather, not under momma hardly at all during the day.

3. capthollis

Ok Cool Donray. Hey my heat lamp is about 1' above the ground, should I raise it some? Thank You a bunch!

4. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    congrats on the new chicks

5. capthollis

Thank You,,, I did loose 1 today, hopefully no more.

6. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    i so sry for your lost i hope every thing goes well and turns out okay with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by