Southeastern Duck's Laying Cycle

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AuroraSprings, Nov 1, 2011.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    So, our ducks are still not laying. My DH says its the same cycle as last year and that I'm being a worry-wart. I honestly have almost no short-term memory and can't recall if this is normal. I know there were others here in the SE who's ducks stopped laying, have they started back yet? Mine should be over the "trauma" of moving to a new home/pasture, there aren't any predators bothering them, they get fed layer pellets once a day (all you can eat for 15 mins) and free range the rest of the day. What is up with these girls? Most are early (like Feb or March) 2011 hatches, but there are 3yr olds and yearlings in there too.

Happy ducks.. right?!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    No comments at all?

3. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I can't really help you since I live in Ohio.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Im "somewhat" near you, and my ancona hen stopped for a while, and started again two days ago....

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    My Calls have been laying sporadically for a few weeks, but they won't start laying seriously again until January or so(I'm in Texas).

6. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Well, if it helps at all - I just found out that my seven month old 'Scovies have a nest of 13 eggs. They started laying when I was away at Crossroads, near as I can figure.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Where are you hossfeathers? my girls stopped laying in October. won't see anymore eggs till April.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm in mid-Florida and while my duck hasn't started laying, my chickens are only laying sporadically now. Its these ridiculously short days. You could get some eggs but it seems most likely it will be spring. I check daily to see if my muscovy hen has lain an egg but I'm not holding out hope until the day length increases.

Nice looking flock. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Where are you hossfeathers? my girls stopped laying in October. won't see anymore eggs till April.

See that kills me, I am in Va. And my friends have muscovies hatching iut and others laying. But mine...nothing.

10. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I agree with jdywntr with spring. Allthough some of my mallards layed a bunch of eggs last 2 weeks. I am getting rid of all of them though.(30) Too many mouths to feed here as it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by