Southern 101---Explanation of all things Southern

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FrenchHen, Jun 18, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    A continuation of a discussion from another thread, bring questions and explanations here!

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    There are two Souths: The Redeck one and the Genteel one.
    Most folks are a mix of both, but the Redneck one is more represented by the media.

When a tornado hits, they WILL find the person with the fewest teeth and dirtiest hair to explain what it was like.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Why is all soda called coke down south?

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I am willing to explain stuff if i can. I know there are Texan Stereotypes so if you want the reality on some of those i can try. Bring on the questions please!

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I believe it's Chondra Pierce who, in her own inimitable way, says: "in the South, you can say anything you want to about somebody as long as you follow it with 'Bless her/his heart...'" [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Maybe for the same reason my friends from up North call all carbonated beverages "pop"

8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Um, I didn't know that it was. Around here if I were to ask my friends if they wanted a coke they'd say "No, i only drink sprite (or Dr.Pepper or whatever)"

9. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Yes. It's all Coke.
    Pepsi is not Southern. Coke's center is Atlanta, Georgia. Pepsi's center is in New York (I think). Since southern > northern, everything is coke.

Unless it's an RC. Which goes great with Moon Pies. But that's another topic.

Some of the stereotypes are close to accurate, but most folks (not just southerners) resent being boxed into a stereotype.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Maybe for the same reason my friends from up North call all carbonated beverages "pop"

It's actually called Pop because of Faygo, a beverage made and distributed in Detroit Mi......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: