Southern CA coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernmama47, May 25, 2010.

1. southernmama47

southernmama47 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Southern CA
    Hi all..I'm new to this forum. I am currently researching everything about chickens and my main concern is the coop. Mostly about making a good coop for not a ton of cash. I was wondering what I needed to know about making a coop suited for Southern CA weather (I'm located in Orange County). I've read the threads on ventilation but I'm just not sure how to make sure it's not boiling hot inside during the summer days, and not too cool at the same time during night. Also, I don't think that predators will be much of a concern. I live in the city, and have a fully fenced yard. The fence is bricked and about 5 feet tall.

Concerning law wording...when it says that chickens can't be kept closer than 100 feet from another person's residence, that means their property line, right? That is pretty much impossible to do in my yard...I think I will have to just hope the neighbors don't complain. Luckily, each house beside my house is empty (1 is in foreclosure, another is a vacation home), and so I really only have to worry about the neighbors across the fence behind me.

Thanks for any info!!

2. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    If I were you I'd build a coop that has a roof and 2.5 to 3 walls. Have the open wall/run be under the roof to protect it from the rain/sun and yet have it open enough to have air come in and cool things off. Also, I'd be sure your open wall wasn't south facing and certainly not neighbor facing, if at all possible. I live in Livermore and it's quite hot here. My DH started planning the coop his 'own' way, and I AM thankful to have a coop, but I find it to be too hot in the summer. I have something similar where all one wall is full of windows that can be opened all the way. I'm currently trying to get a summer door built as well to put more of a cross breeze in... so if you can build two walls do it! Just make sure it's big enough that the ladies can get out of the wind and rain. Maybe have a smaller enclosed structure where they can huddle during a storm. I know in SoCal it's quite warm so think open for the majority of the time, and a safe place to huddle at night/in a storm though they'll be out playing during the day in the wind and rain and not really care, but at night it's probably better then can escape.

I know hardwire is expensive, but to build your coop right don't use chicken wire. I used the smaller hardwire for the bottom two feet and in the dirt and the farmers fencing for the rest of the open sides, including the top. It will not keep out the rats, but it will keep out cats and raccoons and other naughty animals. I haven't had too much rat trouble, and we have a serious infestation going on that we're working on getting rid of. But so far no chickens have been eaten by them.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for free stuff, and I've seen a few sheds for sale at Lowes for much less than what we spent... the are display models so you'd have to dismantle them, but that still a great deal. I'd look for free windows and just attach them with hinges and cut openings... super duper easy!

Good luck!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

I have lived in Orange County, CA - in Garden Grove. We had 'possums, raccoons, and occasionally saw a rat run across the back wall of OUR brick wall around the yard. I think you'd be surprised about predators...

Ordinances really DO usually mean the physical building of a residence, not the property line. Otherwise the term "property line" is used.

Ventilation is horrifically important. I now live in West Sacramento, and I have the back wall of the coop - 8 feet long, six feet tall - end short of the roof/ceiling, and the space covered in hardware cloth. The gap is about 5 inches high. There's a window in each of the other 3 walls, covered by hardware cloth. I use plexiglas to cover the opening, which I just take out during the hot times. Sometimes all 3 windows are "open" and sometimes one or two, different ones, depending on the winds, the heat, etc. The vent in the back wall is ALWAYS open.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. suzeeg

suzeeg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Hi and:welcome i built my coop out of pvc pipe. if you look on my byc page you can get an idea or too. Very cost effective and you can make it as big or small as you want. :weeeGood luck!!![​IMG]
    Quote:

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in So. Cal. and am familiar with Orange County. Whether you realize it or not, you have opossums and raccoons. Depending on your area, you may also have urban coyote and bobcat. Make your pen predator proof.

6. southernmama47

May 25, 2010
    Southern CA
    Wow! I can't believe I have so many replies this quickly! Thanks everyone!

So what is the best way to predator proof my pen? I've only lived here 3 years, and haven't seen any wildlife (not even squirrels!) but I will take y'all word that there are critters running around here lol. I am thinking of making a coop like this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=38201

7. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I would say this would not be the best for your climate. You'll be shocked by how hot it will get inside. Seriously consider something more open, though this is cute!!! Maybe only construct two walls and leave the others open to a run.

Also I'd use hardwire. Bury it in the dirt about two feet or so down, or line the chicken run with it. I have raccoons and I had to completely seal the birds in on all sides even the dirt. I've had no problems, but I can hear those nasty animals out there trying.

Edited to add... don't use chicken wire... it rusts and I've read some sad posts about raccoons getting through it. I know it's cheap but.... you'll be better off with a galvanized wire anyway, I know it's expensive... just think about how these eggs would have cost 5$ a dozen. That may make you feel a little better. Can't wait to see your coop. Be sure to post lots of pics!! Have fun.

What kind of birds are you getting?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. southernmama47

May 25, 2010
    Southern CA
    What kind of birds are you getting?

I'm thinking of getting an Australorp, an Easter Egger, a Buff Orpington, and a Silkie or two. My bird requirements are quiet, good egg layers, and friendly.

I am definitely going to make the coop a bit more ventilated and open air than the one in the link I posted too.​

9. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I LOOOVVVE Buff Orpingtons... they are so friendly and they have nice eggs! I vote for them. My EE lays my biggest egg, and makes the most noise... same with my rhode island reds... My Cochin seems to be the quietest (medium size pink tinted eggs), next to my Cuckoo Maran.... ohhhh she has very large and pretty eggs (dark brown, looks nice next to the blue EE egg) as well. I love the mixture of all the colors, problem is when one gets sick I know and it makes me sad when that color is missing from my pile.

Have fun building the coop!!! Wishing you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by