Southern California- Fire Evacuation Plan with Chickens?

Gonecluckingmad

Chirping
Sep 21, 2019
Hi SoCal Chicken Friends!

I have had to evacuate due to wildfires 4 times over the last 15 years, but never with chickens. Have any of you? What did you do? Where did you go?

Most hotels accept dogs and waive any pet fees for evacuees. However, I'm not so sure that my flock of 5 would be welcome. Also, HOW did you move your flock? Right now, my plan is 2 dog crates in my car.

Any tricks/tips are appreciated!

I'm in Woodland Hills. Not a lot of fire danger here but there are a decent number of fires around us and I'm concerned what breathing all this smoke is doing to my chickens. Everything was smokey for 3-4 days last week and here we go again...

I wish I had some ideas for you for evacuating. Two dog kennels sounds good provided they're not for small dogs. Check for where your local evacuation centers are and see which will take animals. Pierce College is always a go-to for large animals like horses. If Pierce is an alternative for you I doubt they'd turn chickens away. They may run out of space for the horses but contained poultry don't take up much space.

Take feed, a feeder and a waterer with you. Wherever they land they may or may not be fully prepared for poultry.

Where are you? I've got two decent sized wire kennels I could loan if you need them and I'm convenient. I've also got some small kennel-sized feeders and waterers.

Wishing you the best. Pack your essentials and get the poultry contained in whatever way you're able. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Last edited:
Hi SoCal Chicken Friends!

I have had to evacuate due to wildfires 4 times over the last 15 years, but never with chickens. Have any of you? What did you do? Where did you go?

Most hotels accept dogs and waive any pet fees for evacuees. However, I'm not so sure that my flock of 5 would be welcome. Also, HOW did you move your flock? Right now, my plan is 2 dog crates in my car.

Any tricks/tips are appreciated!
I have used dog crates also.

I'd think that dog crates would be fine, I'd personally transport them in one crate together as being tighter together gives them more stability as the automobile moves (providing that it's not too hot, or too crowded of course), and then dividing them between the other crate when you arrive at your destination would work out fine.

I think dog crates would be fine. I free range but they sleep in dog crates on the screen porch & when a hurricane is around I keep them in their crates the thought being l can grab a crate quicker than a chicken. They may not be happy to be locked up, but they are safe. I wish you lots of luck & be safe!

That's a good idea to have them sleep in the crate! Mine come when called (but who knows if there was smoke) and are in their coop at night.

Do you have a hurricane "go bag" for them? If so what's in it? I have feed and bedding.

Have to say that I almost miss hurricane season! At least you know they're coming/ can be somewhat prepared. Fire season is totally unpredictable.

I'm in Woodland Hills. Not a lot of fire danger here but there are a decent number of fires around us and I'm concerned what breathing all this smoke is doing to my chickens. Everything was smokey for 3-4 days last week and here we go again...

I wish I had some ideas for you for evacuating. Two dog kennels sounds good provided they're not for small dogs. Check for where your local evacuation centers are and see which will take animals. Pierce College is always a go-to for large animals like horses. If Pierce is an alternative for you I doubt they'd turn chickens away. They may run out of space for the horses but contained poultry don't take up much space.

Take feed, a feeder and a waterer with you. Wherever they land they may or may not be fully prepared for poultry.

Where are you? I've got two decent sized wire kennels I could loan if you need them and I'm convenient. I've also got some small kennel-sized feeders and waterers.

Wishing you the best. Pack your essentials and get the poultry contained in whatever way you're able. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Thanks! Didn't think about waterers! I'm at the North end of San Diego County. There have been a bunch of fires yesterday/ today with 2 getting pretty big. They are throwing everything at them (multiple crews, planes, helicopters) which I'm so grateful for because they are containing/ getting them out quickly. I'm worried about the smoke too. It's pretty strong even though the fires are pretty far away. One of my dogs wont leave my side and keeps shaking.

I have a super large dog crate, large, and medium wire crates. Was thinking of separating them (3 in one and 2 in the other) since 2 of my hens pick on my polish hen so terribly.

I really hope the winds stop soon! This is nerve wrecking!

I'd think that dog crates would be fine, I'd personally transport them in one crate together as being tighter together gives them more stability as the automobile moves (providing that it's not too hot, or too crowded of course), and then dividing them between the other crate when you arrive at your destination would work out fine.

Good idea! I'm a little nervous about my Polish hen as the others really pick on her. My Dominique is her body guard.

Back
Top Bottom