Southern California Poultry Processors?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MickeyChicken, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MickeyChicken

MickeyChicken New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Does anyone know of any "reputable" poultry processors in the Los Angeles County/Orange County area of Southern California? While I will be raising some meat birds, I think I might be pushing my zoning luck by doing the processing in the back yard.

I have asked around at the OC Fair and some of the local 4-H clubs, but most of their suggestions seem to come with a grimace and the explanation that the place they are suggesting is somehwat questionable - definitely NOT where I'd like my family's food to come from!

Any suggestions would be welcome!

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Im noteven sure if im zoned to process. However I still do it. What?! Its not like anyone is looking over the fence. [​IMG]

3. Alex818

Alex818 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Tujunga, CA
    I'd hate to dig up an old thread but since this one was already existing I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any new info to add. I live near Glendale, CA and I too was looking for someone to process about 6 chickens each month for me. The closest I found was someone advertising on Craigslist out in Perris, CA which is about an hour or so away from me. If I can't find anyone closer I may just have to make a trip out there once a month for a family outing but ideally it would be nice to find someone closer. Any suggestions??

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Southern California is a difficult place to find someone to process chickens. I saw an ad on craigslist a while back, but it may have been the person in Perris you are talking about. We have been processing our own chickens for about 6 years now and have looked for a processor off and on during that time. We've never found anyone who does it professionally. The best you might find is a neighbor or family member of a friend/neighbor who knows how and will come help you.

5. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I never thought about there being zoning regs about such things......but then again, I am in rural northeast TN. I would think that as long as you dispose of everything, it wouldn't matter. If you are concerned about your neighbors seeing what you are doing, you could always pitch a tent.....LOL

6. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    If they look over the fence, then they deserve whatever they see......

7. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    I'm in So Cal, too. I do my processing in my garage so that no one will see. Actually, it works out really well because I have the sink for wash up, the concrete floor is easy to mop up and sanitize with 10% bleach solution, and I don't have to worry about the dogs, chickens or people bugging me.

Isn't it amazing that we live in a state that has a huge percentage of the agriculture for the entire USA, but people act like DIY chicken execution makes you a satanist or something.

2 people like this.
  8. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    Sometimes I think it makes people come face-to-face with where there meat actually comes from. Do they think it grows out behind the supermarket? If times get tough, though, they will be knocking on your door.....

9. Alex818

Alex818 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Tujunga, CA
    I processed 6 of them in my yard a few weeks ago. I have tall bushes so nobody can see into my yard but it was just too much work for me to do it every month. Maybe I'll just make a trip to Perris each month on a weekend with the family and have the lady out there do it while we're out shopping or having lunch. She only charges $2 per bird.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow, $2 per bird is cheap! I know a farm in Santa Barbara that raises meat birds but they don't do their own processing. The place they use charges $5 per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by