southern california

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kjk66ss, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    hey everyone. i have a question on outside temperature. how cold is too cold,i have 2-5 week old chicks and 2-3 week old chicks. from day 3 when i got them they were in a small coop in our garage with a radiator heater keeping the entire room nice an warm . i just moved them out to and old play house that i turned into a coop. they have been in the new coop all day and i put them back in the small coop at night. i have been doing that for the last 3 days/nights. today i brought the heat lamp out and placed it facing one of the nesting boxes and after about 10 minutes of really loud chirping they jumped into the box and stayed quite. what i want to know is,is it too cold for them still at night being outside but under the lamp? i listed the subject as southern california because thats where i live and cold for us is 45 degrees tonight.

2. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    also i wanted to know, they went from sleeping in the complete dark to now having the red heat light. will this cause too much stress?

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    2 to 5 week old is a big spread. You need some heat until fully feathered out and by week 6 they should be close that. With the mild So Cal Temps its not as strict to keep as lets say the Dakota's. I think the general rule is week 1 85* , week 2 is 80* degrees and drop by 5* each week until week 7. Leave enough room for them to get out of the heat too.

Lighting, its true in that white heat lamps are a bit bright and causes them at time to be very active. A lot here on the sight recommend using a red heat lamp for the exact concern you mentioned. I for one used an electric plug in oil heater and could regulate the heat simply by using a thermometer taped inside and moved the heater from under them a bit further and further each week until week 6 when they were fully feathered and out they went into the outside brooder for a couple of weeks during the days and then brought them in at night and by week 8 the heat was gone forever bc they can regulate their body heat themselves.

They have really bad sight in the dark and the red light is perfect for them at night.

Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by