Southern ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We may be in the south but the duckly wucklies did not hesitate to take the plunge this morning after 8" of snow.
    My chickens required a path to be shoveled but thank goodness the duckies are good kids. I even got eggs from them this morning, too.

[​IMG]

See the ducks in the background happy as can be. Most of the chickens are still in their coop and only a few would venture out.

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    LOL, that's funny and cute. My ducks are completey unfazed by the icy water right now.

Chickens are not quite so happy.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    too cute:D

my chickens wouldn't come out in the ice this morning.just sat and peeped out the door.i bet the ducks loved it tho.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine too! Here they are together with their guardian goose:

[​IMG]

And my Holderread magpie drake with two of his ladies:

[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We certainly got a lot of snow in our area! How neat it is to see everyone's ducks taking to it so well. They may be southerners but they adapt very well! Better than some of us humans![​IMG]

6. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Your magpie drake is beautiful! I love his markings!

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks were not happy today with all the snow. They came charging out the duck house and froze. The big ducks got into the big yard today so I had to get them out so I could shut the gate and let the small ducks out. I dug both sides a 3 by 6fy piece and cleared it off snow. I went to town, got duck feed, ate and such and by the time I got home at 3ish the little ducks had gone inside and were bone dry all chilling out on their side of the room. The big ducks looked like sad drowned rats. So I gave them all a good feed , put down more shavings inside their house and put them to bed. They RAN up those stairs and looked relieved to be put up. Poor big ducks were not happy about being out in the snow all day.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    @LuckyDuck--thank you!! I really love that drake too. I debated between him and a black magpie from the same batch--couldn't keep both--because he tends to hold his wings kind of low a lot of the time, but his markings are to die for and in the end I decided to keep the blue dilution gene in the flock. You really can't beat Holderread for quality--wish I had some duck money to spend on more ducklings from him for next Spring. I'll be selling offspring out of that foursome (all Holderread stock, blue drake black hens so should be roughly half/half black and blue offspring) this Spring, and of course keeping some for my own flock!

9. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    It never gets below 45° F where we are *grumbles*

10. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:man if only my husband would let me expand our tiny flock of three... our duck math was 1 + 1 = 3 when we bought ours just as pets. We got lucky and got 2 girls and 1 drake that beats up our dog!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by