southern Illinois lady saying Hello.

Illinois_ Kelly

Songster
12 Years
Sep 13, 2007
Marion, Illinois
Hey Everyone,
I've been on here a while but have yet to officially introduce myself. I'm Kelly, 39 years old, a nurse by nature and profession but most importantly mother of 2 fabulous yet challenging children and "other half" to a tall, dark and very handsome man. He says his better one. I think that's debatable but pleased he feels that way. I still don't know what I did to deserve them but I'm thankful every day that God continues to bless me with them. We adore all of our "critters" and spoil them at every chance.

We're located in southern Illinois about an hour from Evansville, IN - Cape Girardeau MO - and Western KY. Feel free to say hello. We have 146 chickens, so it's a safe bet that I'm willing to talk "chicken" with you!
big_smile.png

Happy Easter!
Kelly & family

One Hundred Forty-Six!!!!
ep.gif
Hi! Welcome to the forum. I'm from Mississippi and I only have 6 chickens. I'm getting a couple of Welsummers in a few weeks, and my first and only broody silkie Serama bantam is setting 5 eggs due to hatch on April 4th. I love your post. God bless you and your family. Happy Easter!
jumpy.gif

Hey neighbor! I'm just south of you in Paducah KY. I'm a newcomer here, and have already found a wealth of information just in reading forum posts. I don't think I could ever read through them all, though! Sounds like you've got your hands full! I only have 3 chickens (started w 4, 1 died of resp. problem [never forgotten sweet little Annie-chicken!] and 2 of them are roos... I need to get some pullets because the roos are driving my one little Wyan pullet and the 3 guinea girls bonkers! Was thinking about maybe getting some Buff or other color Orps, maybe some Faverolles, Australorps... got any input or advice? I'd like some standard sizes for the 2 roos to keep them happy (1 HUGE but nice RIR and 1 SLWyan) but I'd also like to have a group of some smaller breeds like maybe some cochins or mille fleurs, or something like that. What do you suggest? (And BTW, nice to "meet" you!
big_smile.png
Regards, crtrlovr
(critterlover) aka Suzanne

Smitty's Farm - Kim, Thank you for the welcome! Hopefully we can catch up in person at the Fairfield swap in April.

airmom1c05- Thank you for the comment about my post. I have family in Baldwyn, MS. Hang around here and you too will have not just 6, but 146 chickens!
lol.png

Suzanne (crtrlovr) - Nice to meet you too! I'm actually coming to Paducah, KY tomorrow for lunch. I live outside of Marion, IL but the Olive Garden there is calling our names. lol I sent you a PM about my chickens. So sorry to hear about your Annie. We name ours too, although some of them have gotten mixed up since we have so many now. I'm sure your girls need a break if you have a roo that is as busy as ours. When I'm in the yard watching them I remind myself how lucky I was not to have been born a hen!
lau.gif

~Kelly

hi kelly, st. clair county in illinois here. i dont know how you do it with that many chickens i am about to go nuts waiting on our 1st 14 chicks. anyway nice to see someone from southern ill. on here. maybe we will see you at the waterloo show next week. bye

Hi Kelly!! Wow! Thats a whole mess of chickens! You sell the eggs....right? No one could love eggs that much! I grew up in the Chicago area.
Hope you have a great Easter!
D.gif

JANDRFIRE - Hi neighbor!
frow.gif
If my other half doesn't have to work then we may go to the show in Waterloo. Did you know that there's one in Fairfield, IL too? PM me if you need the details. I think a few of us are going to it. Thanks for the welcome! Let's keep in touch.
smile.png

tarazod- I have a few favorites and they all have names! LOL The ones that come up to me and stare until I hold them are Dominique and Olivia. They're Americaunas and just gorgeous girls. They talk to me the entire time. Granted I have no idea what they're saying but I can tell they're pleased to have my attention, which I'm always happy to give them. We started out with 44 chickens and my other half went chicken-crazy and bought another 110, some of the "pullets" turned out to be roosters and we rehomed them right away. Just think, I began small too so 146 chickens may be in your future as well!
ep.gif
lau.gif
Great to meet you!

chickflick- We love country eggs a lot but we die of high cholesterol if we ate all of these!
big_smile.png
Yes, it's quite a few chickens and we have the "fever" to add more all the time but I'm holding back right now because we plan to add some Sebastopal geese and more ducks to our family when the pond is done. We sell hatching eggs all year round but I'm really picky about the quality of birds I use for those, so somes eggs are only used for consumption. My family, neighbors and friends never complain that we have fresh country eggs for sale though! We hope to sell chicks, ducklings and goslings very soon. My children just love the entire process and I think it is a good way to build more responsibility in them. You grew up in Chicago, huh? Where ya at now?

Thanks for the posts everyone. Nice getting to know all of you, Don't be strangers.

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom