Southern Maine Bourbon Reds?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LOVE2FARM, Oct 26, 2010.

1. LOVE2FARM

LOVE2FARM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Started raising Bourbon Reds and Chanticleers, anyone in southern Maine here? Looking for others to share information and/or birds.

2. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    I'm in Strafford, NH, not far from the border. This year I raised Broad-breasted Bronzes (and many chickens), but planning on Bourbon Reds next year. Will you be selling poults in the spring?

3. LOVE2FARM

LOVE2FARM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Southern Maine
    You are not far at all, I am on the NH line.

If hatching goes well, I may sell. Right now I am just starting and am only keeping my tom and hen. This year was a trial for me, my goal was for the tom and hen to raise them naturally, all went well, but it was a late start. I purchased my tom in March and was not prepared and lost the first hatch to fox. The second hatch wasn't until late June. I didn't have any luck with the incubator, but may next year.

How did you like the BB Bronze? Are they like the BB white? I like this breed ALOT better than the BB white, atleast for raising. I am not sure of the meat yet, I haven't slaughtered any. Will let you know later if the babies don't sell.

Karen

4. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    The Broad Breasted Bronzes were nice to raise. They are docile, friendly, and get along well with the chickens. The smallest is about 30 lbs now at 5-6 months old. I bought them at 2-3 days old for about $5.50 each from a feed store. Straight run resulted in 3 hens and a Tom. We've got them to roost with the chickens in a secure coop at night to keep them safe from predators. We have everything here: bear, coyote, fox, bobcat, fishers and weasels... as we are surrounded by forest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by