1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Southern md ( Charles county )-to fight or not to fight?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Ukmumbrood3, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    So to cut along story short, I live on an acre and a 1/4 in Charles county,md and have owned chickens for the last 6 months. I thought I'd done my homework and was allowed to own a backyard flock. Everything has been great, neighbors excited with the prospect of freebie eggs,I clean coops everyday so not to have anything for anyone to complain about well that all changed on Tuesday with an early knock on the door [​IMG] An inspector asking me if I owned chickens, of course I said yes, anyway 1 neighbor ( lives behind me ) reported me! Not because of noise or smell but because she just has it in for me, she's the grinch of the neighborhood, talks to nobody and just basically rats everyone out for silly things.I was totally in the dark on it even being illegal to keep chickens and because of owning nearly an acre and a half I never in a million years thought I'd get in trouble! So basically he told me I have 30 days to get rid of all but 2 chickens! Charles county allows 1 adult bird per 1/2 acre, how ridiculous is that!!?! My kids are devastated! I just can't fathom the reasoning behind it all! My surrounding neighbors are all supportive and are willing to back me should I decide to fight. Sooooo question is would you fight it or not? I really don't want to just get rid of everything and not even try. Oh and the icing on the cake is my Mean neighbor has at least 5 horses on 2 acres, totally illegal! [​IMG]. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

fight it. I would anyway. [​IMG] good luck.

Before you go after the grumpy neighbor, be sure it's he who turned you in. Could be one of the others is smiling to your face while stabbing you in the back. Just be sure first.

3. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    Oh I know it's her, the inspector slipped up and told me so. Thanks I think I'm gonna need a lot of luck!

4. MaisondePoulet

MaisondePoulet New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Well, I vote for fighting the ordinance. I am also in White Plains, and am very interested in having 3 to 5 hens. However, I have a mere 3/4 of an acre. Bummer. One lonely little hen would be all I am permitted to have. I'd be interested in more info on that inspector, ie. what department do they hail from, what is the wording or number of the ordinance, etc. Thanks.

5. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    We are dealing with the inspector tomorrow.I have read that I can have 2 adult birds on my .5 acre.Try this link last up dated in 2011.

http://www.charlescounty.org/webdocs/pgm/publications/planning/zoning_ord 2008.pdf

control f and search pooultry.

Another member posted to my thread about the coop needing to be 200 feet from all property lines.That's impossible for us.My thought is if that's the case my 2 bird's will live in my garage and have a run out back!So at that point I will not have a coop but a cage instead.

6. macncrac

macncrac New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    I don't know whether it is worth it to you to fight or not but that 200 ft thing looks like it only applies if you are going to sell the chickens or eggs. I am interested in all this because I would like some chickens and I am in Waldorf. It certainly looks like the county rules would tend to let you have 2 chickens..which isn't really enough to feed a family but enough to have a hobby and it looks like it only applies if it is a school/4-H project. It looks like the rules don't really apply at all to people just having chickens for eggs or food or anything. Just that they can't be a nusuiance..which we all know could be contrued against the chicken owner very easily..especially in a PUD/HOA.

7. TERRYF

TERRYF New Egg

Jun 14, 2012
    Fight it, that's ridiculous. Look up the horse information, and perhaps send her a letter about it, maybe she will change her mind.
    P.S. I'm in Waldorf and thinking of getting chickens, I am actually on the phone with the court house right now asking about chickens and my neighborhood!
    Good Luck,
    Terry

8. ashleymr44

ashleymr44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I am interested to see if anything came of this? I am also in Waldorf and I would love to know.

1 person likes this.
  9. Yanipique

Yanipique Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2016
    Did you fight it? I am hoping to do so and gather some people that would be willing to support the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by