Southern New ENgland 4-H Poultry Show

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by tinychicky, Jan 19, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Is anyone one else going? it's at the university of connecticut on April 2nd! i'm bringing a white leghorn for breed, a blue modern for showmenship, and eggs and my little sister is bringing a black cochin and partridge oegb for breed and a serama for showmenship!

2. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
  3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'll be there!! [​IMG]

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I'll be there with my club.... now we all just have to send in out 4-H Registration forms [​IMG] then we''ll enter. I'll be entering a d'anver and old english game bantam.

5. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    My daughter will be there. She is 8 and this will be her first show. We are taking a Welsummer for breed, an Easter Egger for Production Class and a dozen Wellie eggs. My daughter has some special needs, so a "win" for us this round is just that she will be there. [​IMG] She is already registered!

6. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i thought that since uconn's coming up, i'd bring this thread up again... it's about a month away [​IMG]

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Wow, I was JUST thinking about this a few hours ago! Can't wait!

8. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i've been reveiwing my questions over and over again-the whole cluckers club has. we all did well enough last year, but we want to do even better this time! last year all but one person placed in showmanship (she won the poster contest though [​IMG] ) and we were mostly 1sts and 2nds! you guys had better watch out!

9. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Hahaha the Chicken Chasers... My club.... Didn't place in anything [​IMG] But I'm more into goat showing

10. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:review that showmanship techniques and questions on the website, http://web2.uconn.edu/poultry/4-H Poultry/show.html . read lots of chickens books and learn the questions by heart. keep your eyes on the judge and smile... even if it's totally forced [​IMG] work A LOT with your showmanship bird, you don't want it squawking or flying off the table, and use bantams if you have any. they're much easier to handle. do a little research about your breed, too. know a little history about it, a few different varieties and the class it's shown in... look in the standard of perfection if you need to. if you get backyard poultry magazine, they have an awsome article on showing this month [​IMG] . if not, here's a link you can read some of the magazine on: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/6-1.html shhh, i'm sharing cluckers secrets with you, don't tell anyone...except maybe your club [​IMG] i hope you guys have better luck this year! the judge that judged our hillsborough county fair show (he's a uconn judge) said that the were going to use a bunch of new questions this year...uh-oh [​IMG] probably a whole lot of q's about diseases (newcastles, marek's, avian influenza, salmonella pullorum, etc.) every year at the fair we have a "world famous hillsborough chicken quiz" created by the mother of one of the cluckers. this year's was extra hard and the uconn judge asked for a copy which means if you're judged by the guy who always wears a cowboy-type hat, you're in trouble [​IMG] just though i'd warn you guys. better brush up on your poultry knowledge. maybe we could quiz each other on the questions if there are two of us online at the same time [​IMG] quick, name the feather tracts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by