1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Southern Oklahoma here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Darklingstorm, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I've posted a couple of times but never introduced myself. I used to have chickens when I was a kid (Rhodes Island Reds) and have always wanted some more. I have 14 hens (2 light Brahma, 12 Red Star) and 1 light Brahma Roo all coming in April. Being patient is not my thing, but it gives me time to read, read and read some more. I have a 2 year old son that I can't wait till he gets to see them too and learn about them. He can already recognize pictures of chickens and yells chicken every time he sees a pic.

A little story...When I was 10/11 years old my mom got 5 hens and 1 rooster all Reds. I feed them and played with them every day. We lived in Washington State at the time and that year it got very cold. I knew more about the chickens than anyone else in the family (which wasn't much) and one morning I went out and found a frozen chicken on a nest. The next day I found another one (I didn't know about heat lamps and neither did anyone else). I cried and cried and finally convinced my mom to let me keep the remainder of the chickens (fully grown) in my bedroom closet. Yep you read right my bedroom closet for the remainder of the winter. I found eggs in my underwear drawer and was never late getting to school thanks to the rooster in my window. I kept those chickens for several years (never in the closet again) but eventually I went to live with my Dad in Texas and my mom sold my chickens. I've been waiting years to be able to raise chickens again.

2. Grace'sDad

Grace'sDad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Southwestern Oklahoma
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you need to jump in on the Where am I/Where are you area and find the Okies in the BYC thread. We have several hundred folks from all over Oklahoma and a few from other states that used to live in Oklahoma. It is a great group of folks and we all love our chickens. I think you would fit in well. Love your "closet" story.
    Hope to see you there.
    [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]