Southern snow chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sandy16, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    How many of you are in the south and covered today with snow? We live in Atlanta and have about 4.5 inches on the ground. The girls were so funny this morning when we opened up the coop door...they wouldn't move! Too funny! Anyone else out there experiencing this? [​IMG]

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We've got 5 inches here in N MS and my birds that free range are just standing in one spot kinda confused LOL!!

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am in GA. I did not open their door cause it was sleeting and raining. Supposed to ice over. Don't want them to get frostbite. Even my goats won't come out. We are outside Augusta.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult birds were out in it yesterday. They are used to it, this being their third winter. I kept the younger flock in, but I'll more than likely let them out today. We have about 8 inches on the ground.

5. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    So you don't think it wil hurt them. The sleet and freezing rain? I am new to chickens. Only had them scince July.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'd hate to tell you it won't and then have something happen to one of your chickens, weather related. My adult birds are LF brahmas and they are built for this weather. During their first winter (they were about 8 - 9 months old) I recall them being out during an ice storm and they did just fine. Now I open their pop door every day and let them make the choice. They prefer to be out.

I got 9 eggs out of 12 adult hens yesterday, silly birds. [​IMG]

My younger flock is 7 months old. All winter hardy breeds, except perhaps for the two silkies. I'll be giving them the same choice today.

7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks gritstar. appreciate it. Mine are rir's. They are 6 months. They all seem fine with the door closed. So I think to be on the safeside and to keep my peice of mind I will leave it closed. I am a big worry wort. I get fussed at all the time for it. LOL. Thank you again for the advice

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Still having a hard time wrapping my mind around you getting that much snow in SA.....up here we have 2.5 to 3" on the ground and more coming today.

My RIR girlies stood in the door this morning and tried to decide what to do.....they FLEW from the pop door to up under the satillite dish we have in there for shade.....so, I put the treats in there for them. And put out fresh water for everyone. If the Barred Rock roo was not such a turd I would have gone in and swept their run like I did the big run....took the broom and swept them a path!

The EE's are the new girls in the big run.....they had no problem with the snow....anything to get away from those nasty mean RIR hens! Actually they are all calming down and doing pretty good now.

The sweet cochins in the cochin corner slept in their new coop under protest (went out after dark and threw a towel over each of them in the corner, in the snow and placed them in the lil' coop and blocked the door). They were quite warm this morning!

So, everyone up here is doing pretty good. Logan County...just off the Arkansas River and West of Dardanelle. I hope everyone stays warm and gets through this storm!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I'm in Arkansas and we got quite a bit. The chickens weren't quite sure about it...only four would actually stay out and walk in it. The rest of the flock choose to watch from the front of the coop where it was dry!

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pics from yesterday, about four hours before it finally stopped snowing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by