1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Southern States Feed Brand?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by magic21696, Nov 26, 2010.

1. magic21696

magic21696 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Has anyone heard of this brand? I found a feed store near my area that says they carry South States Feed in a 50lb bag. Does anyone know if this is a good brand? And how long will it last? I only have about 10 quail about a month old.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok look it up on google,make sure its unmedicated since it isnt good for quail.Make sure it has a protein content of atleast 26% if it doesnt then supplement them with eggs.What kinda quail you got?Its should probably last a couple of months just make sure you keep it in a nice dry area.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Southern States Coops have been in business since the 1940's They started in Virginia and through the years have expanded their area into somewhere around 15-18 states. They are a true "farm store" with a total agricultural package,unlike TSC and others. They have their own mills,feed testing farm and labs. I worked for them at their LaGrange Kentucky store for 12 years and yes,their feed is good. Better than Dumoor from TSC but maybe not quite as good as Layena.

Larry

4. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Southern States feed is one of our only commercial choices in our area (eastern NC) and we've been using their layer crumbles & scratch for our chickens since we got them last spring. Our chickens are big, happy and healthy! Ours are free range and we give them a lot of fresh veggies in addition to their feed.

BTW we also have used their horse feed for many years and love it. Southern States has been around for a while, and they are a good source of agricultural info (check their website). Of course they market their own products but Ive learned a lot of helpful general information from them over the years :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by