Southern States Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Airilith, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am currently feeding Southern States Start-N-Grow (medicated). My local feed store sells it, and as it saves me an hour trip to get to my nearest TSC, so I started feeding it. And they seem to only carry SS feed.

I read in some post on here that he or she experienced lowered egg production when feeding SS. So I'm wondering how many of you out there feed it and whether or not you like it.

Thanks so much everyone! I just want to know if I need to switch brands when I get my first bag of layer feed. [​IMG]

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    That's all I use. It is 30 min. to TSC and 10 to my local SS. My chickens have all done fine on it. [​IMG]

3. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thanks so much Mary!

4. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    My flock is 10 months old. They are red sexlinks. I get anywhere from 7-10 eggs per day. 9 most days and there are 10 hens. I think that is pretty good. I use SS, not medicated.

5. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I've heard that SS has had some issues with their feed. Alot of the people who have fed SS and gotten 2-3 out of 10 eggs a day switch to layena or nutrena and get 9-10 eggs. That just what I've heard...

6. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Yea I heard that to so today I switched back to Layena. I try to keep you posted as to the outcome. I switched to SS and eggs drops to two or three from 8 or 9. At the same time as I switched feed the weather got extremely cold, But of course now that I switched back it got warm.

7. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Well I just started a new bag of SS start-n-grow. So I think I'll keep feeding that until they hit 16-18 wks and then I'll switch to layena. I wonder what's wrong with the SS feed, and why they haven't fixed it yet. Weird.

And I'd really appreciate an update on what you find madman.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I read somewhere on here about it being very low in protein and likely has fluff (round corncobs) in it too. Not thought to be a good grade of feed. I have never used it. [​IMG]

9. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I really haven't studied feeds, but have used this for decades (only thing available near us too). It has preformed just fine. It probably isn't what you would want to use if you were raising them for food (quickest weight gain).

10. ToxawayTiger

ToxawayTiger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    Mountains of WNC
    I use SS all the time and couldn't get any better production. My leghorns produce 6 out of 6 most days of the week but even on an off day I get 5 out of 6. My BO are just starting but so far they are very consistent even for an average egg producing breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by