Southern States Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pet Duck Boy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I began feeding my girls the start-N-grow (19% protein) when I got them, and have just recently switched them to the 16% layer SS feed at 19 weeks, when I found my first egg. So far, they've been doing great. But I would like to know if there's anyone else here that uses it, or if someone has a good or bad opinion about it. SS is all I have access to, since the closest TSC is 100 miles away.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've used it. Each of my four feed stores ( not counting TSC) carries a different brand of chicken feed. I buy from whichever store I am closest to. I don't buy from TSC necause I have bought a couple of bags of food that had bugs or mold in it. I know of others in this area that have experienced the same thing.

My other feed stores seem to rotate their stock enough to keep the food fresh.

Are you having any troubles with the southern states feed ? ?

3. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    No trouble at all, and when I buy a bag it's always nice and fresh. I was just wondering if anyone else uses/used Southern States, and has had good or bad experience with it.

4. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I love their feed but they dont carry chick starter [​IMG]

5. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Isn't start-N-grow the same? It's medicated with amprolium.

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I used to use SS when I was in NC. It was better than TSC. And yes, I got the chicks starter from them. I got unmedicated, but the SS dealer near me carried both. I have the option of SS, TSC or a couple local mills. I chose the mills. I can get it much fresher. I've had issue with teh SS near me about the freshness of the horse feed, plus, I have issues with one of the clerks so it turns me off shopping there all together.

I get milled feed from one of two local places instead. Nicer people and the birds love the stuff.

7. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL

I dont think they carry that either [​IMG]

8. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL

I dont think they carry that either [​IMG]

What do you mean they don't carry it? It's what I used for several months! [​IMG]

9. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    That's the only feed I use.... Start -n- grow, grow/finish and layer pellets. They'll order special stuff for me (like game bird starter) and they load it in the truck for me. Might be a little more expensive than TSC, but it's always fresh & I've had good results.

I've tried other brands but the chickens don't like 'em.

10. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have a family owned livestock supply that sells the SS food. I have used it since I first started with chickens in 2008. I have gotten the Flock Raiser from TSC because livestock store doesnt carrry the Purina food. They can order it but they charge me more money for it than TSC. I mix the Flock Raiser and the SS food for my chickens. I have not had a problem with the quality of the food. I think they use quite a bit of the food and it doesn't get old.

Oh I started my chicks on the Starter then switched to the Grower/Finisher and had some on the layer food. Now except my babies they eat the starter. In the fall of last year the older chickens now eat the Grower/Finisher. I don't want to force them to lay any more eggs than they are giving me. I actually woudln't mind slowing them down a bit. I was getting 2 dozen+ each day but now way more managable than before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by