Southern States Layer Pellets - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by donnavee, Feb 10, 2013.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have had chickens for almost 4 yrs now (my how time goes by) and once my girls reached laying age have fed them Southern States Layer Pellets as the store is pretty close and the girls seem to like them. However, lately I have noticed many of the pellets are dust so I feel like I'm feeding mash with a few pellets mixed in. I even bought some Purina at Tractor Supply for comparison and their pellets were whole with very little dust.

Wondering if anyone else who feeds Southern States feed has experienced this or possibly it is just the store I am using?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There are many things that can cause pellets to turn to dust. I feel they are all mechanical reasons caused by handing, bagging, storage and production issues.

3. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    My southern states has been fine for 4 years till the stuff I got a couple weeks ago--dusty. I assumed if was a exception. I am in Western N.C.

4. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I'm in the middle of NC - Mebane area. Wonder if it's coming from the same place? The bag I got the other day is the worst yet. I think I'll take a container of it into them and ask what's going on.

5. bird-brain

bird-brain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    North GA
    Had the same problem in north Georgia.

6. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    This doesn't sound good - guess I'm switching to a different brand. I wonder if they changed their formula and the pellets are now softer and fall apart easier?

7. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    I also live in NC (mebane area), and get my feed at SS too. The last bag or two of pellets, very dry/dusty and crumbly. I wondered if it was a bad batch? I'm thinking of switching brands, but I'm not sure what to switch to. It has to be the same or nearly same price as the SS feed though, as that's what we can currently afford.

8. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Yeah, I'm thinking of trying the Bartlett at Ol' Mill in Efland - not sure but I think it might be a couple of bucks more though. I have bought the Purina at TSC, but it definitely is more expensive. But my husband just bought a chain saw at SS and needs to go back to have them look at it so I think I'll just have to go along and inquire about the quality of the feed. If enough folks complain then I feel they should respond as losing business isn't good.

I appreciate all the responses as now I can see other folks are having the same experience.

9. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    If you're near Mebane, there are a few farms in the Mebane area that sell feed. I just found out about one that is Morris Meadows Farm, and I was told that they have good quality feed at prices comparable to SS. They have a website (can't remember what it is), but don't list prices. There is also one down past the Iron Gate Winery, not sure where exactly, that my husband said sells feed, I can find out about their prices too and let you know. I just don't know what brands and if they are good quality feeds or not.

10. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Thanks for the info - I did a google search and came up with their website, looks like they sell Nutrena feed. I've never used it before but will check it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by