1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Southern States Store

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Airilith, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    So I just found out that there is a Southern States store not too farm from me. I was wondering (A) if anyone has been to one, (B) if you liked it, and (C) if SS sells chicks.

Thanks guys!

PS - I might have to make the drive up there tomorrow. Just figured I'd see what y'all think [​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Love my Southern States!
    They just started doing chicks this year....woohoo [​IMG]

3. Nascarwc88

Nascarwc88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I like ours, but no they don't sell chicks here. We get most of our supplies from them.

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I love ours, they get chicks every year, and so we dont have to get 25 chicks, they just take everybodys orders and add them together.

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I just picked up another bag of starter for my chicks from Southern States. (Mine are little gluttons! [​IMG] )
    I have not dealt w/ this store but a few times and so far they are average to above average. I tried to pick up chick grit and poly-v-sol but they didn't have any. The clerk was polite but young and not interested, ya know? It is convienient to my work so I will probably shop there as needed. There is a TSC 10 miles from my house, but they are only a little better w/ availability of certain items. [​IMG]

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have one a few miles from me, they are great!

7. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    I bought my first 2 chicks (bantam cochin) from Southern States last year. I went back a few days later to ask questions and to find out how to make them more loving. They actually gave me a chick that they had been petting and handling! [​IMG]

I have their chick delivery list for this month. Their chicks seem to be better taken care of and healthier than some of the other local stores.
    Great store, friendly employees and very clean!

8. HickoryGuy

HickoryGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    I know I saw a Mt. Healthy poster in mine just tacked up on a random wall. Never ordered chicks from them, but I'd rather deal with SS than TSC.

9. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thanks! You guys are awesome.

It's about a 30-40min drive for me, but in relation the nearest mall is about 60-75min. But from all the great things I'm hearing I'll be heading that direction this afternoon.

10. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    I bought chicks at SS this am. I believe this is my stores first year carrying chicks. They were very helpful and called me as soon as the chicks arrived at the store [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by