Southern Sweet Tea

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by McCord6, Nov 5, 2009.

1. I been making Sweet Tea EVERYDAY and today it doesn't seem to be tasting very good. I was wondering how other people make their sweet teas. This is how I do it...

Boil a small pot of water
    Take off heat and add 2 tea bags (Lipton family size) and let set for about 30 minutes

In the pitcher, add a cup of sugar and fill with water, leaving enough room for the tea brew
    Mix well

When the Tea brew is done, pour into pitcher and mix well

I never have changed the way I made the tea but just today it doesn't taste right, Maybe it's me. It tastes bad.

How do you make your sweet tea?

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    That is the way I have made mine. But usually I make mine in a coffee pot to brew. We go through at least a gallon a day and 2 on weekends! Nothing beats a nice cold glass of sweet tea!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

3 family size tea bags bring to a boil in pot, pour into pitcher that already contains 1 and 1/4 C of sugar, stir. I continue to fill the pot that contains the tea bags and pour it into the pitcher until the tea bags run clear or the pitcher is full.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If you put yours in one of these plastic pitchers, make sure that you close it all the way before putting in the fridge. Sometimes when it is not closed, it tastes funny the next time you pour a glass.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I use a Mr Coffee Iced Tea maker [​IMG]

6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    I never steep my iced tea that long - only about 5 minutes. 'Cause that's how my mama makes it.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:That's how I make mine, but not as much sugar and only Luzianne. I love iced tea!!

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

LOL, Luzianne is THE only tea we drink here too.

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i fill a 1/2 gallon pitcher with cool water.. add 5 tea bags and let sit all day.. add sugar,, it is perfect everytime and no bitterness because it isn't brewed

10. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I agree with WildOrchid. I fill a pitcher with filtered water (don't like chlorine) and put it in the microwave for 2-4 minutes, depending on the size of the pitcher. I want the water hot, not boiling. Drop in 4 teabags and let it steep for 5-10 minutes. Add sugar, or in my case Stevia, and you're good to go. Boiling brings out the bitterness in tea.

My favorite tea brand is Red Rose. You can't find it in all the stores, but it's worth looking for.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by