southwestern chicken house [pic heavy]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenfanatic, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    ok heres the deal. this started as just another throw together hen house for our younger easter eggers. i put it togther and due to the unusually we weather we have had the wood i bought started warping like mad before i even got started so it looked a lil off kilter. so i got to looking at it and thought u kknow it looks kinda like the old southwestern mexican style building/homes in this area. so i got into the tool shed and found some kinda paint that looked like a brown egg threw up and mixed it with this and that. mid u this paint is all garbage paint we have found and such. and it ended up mixing into the perfect stucco color we were after. so then we painted it and i got to thinking u know i should have put vigas[aka wood beams] into the top it would have looked alot more like what we were going for. and then boom the recycling bug hit my mind and i thought tin cans. we have one of those nifty can openers thats opens the can by parting the seal instead of cutting it. so i took said tin cans and nailed the lids to the henhouse then painted them brown to look like logs. then i liquid nails them to the lids, perfectttttttttt. so then to the inside we went i took some old metal shelves that the former oners of this place left to blow around in the desert wind and put divides in them and boom nestboxes and good ones if i say so myself. a few roosts and we were done. anyway we will probably put some ristras [aka stringers od red chilis] on the outside and maybe a yucca pole ladder for effect but we think it turned out pretty good considering. well here it is let us know whatcha think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

most wonderful!
    [​IMG]

3. Celeste

Celeste Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lyndon
    Love it!!! [​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Great Job [​IMG]

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is the first "Sante Fe" style chicken coop I have ever seen.

6. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

That is so cool!

7. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is awesome! Great creativity and use of materials! Not to mention blending in with the surroundings. [​IMG]

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I love those nest boxes.

9. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I LOVE THIS!!! Now you could staple asphalt paper to it and then a layer of chicken wire on top so you could have a surface that hold cement. With a trowel, then spread some mortar on the walls and it will look like a true adobe coop. Maybe get a bottle of Buff colorant from the aisle with the cement. Pour that in with the water when you stir your mortar and it will be that natural buff adobe color too!
    I love it!

PS Lowes has a cement product called Quik Walls you could use for this if you decide to do it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Very cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by