1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soy allergy ----- soy sauce replacement discovery!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ChickensAreSweet, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

(My oldest son gets a skin rash when he eats soy.)

We just discovered a new "soy sauce" replacement that actually tastes almost like soy sauce.

"Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos!!!"

We bought ours from Vitamin Shoppe and I went back to the store and special ordered 6 more bottles of it. My son LOVES soy sauce and he has missed it so much. We are thrilled. I can hardly tell the difference when I taste it but it is less concentrated so you have to pour more on your rice (use more of it than soy sauce).

It is hard to get it out of the bottle without it running down the side of the bottle, so I poured it into an oil spray can that I had bought for olive oil. Now we can spray it on his rice without waste.

You guys allergic to soy should try it out if interested!!! It was about $6 for a bottle of it. Oh and apparently if ordering through the mail I read some reviews on amazon.com where it leaked in the mail, which is why I went down to the Vitamin Shoppe store (which also has a website) in person.

I was so thrilled I just had to tell y'all as I know there are quite a few people on here avoiding soy and who must miss soy sauce. I also bought their coconut vinegar.

1 person likes this.
  2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We use this as well, I just wish it wasn't so spendy. We avoid most soy due to other food allergies, but do use wheat free non GMO tamari on occasion which is a third the cost for me.
    It is amazing the substitutes which are popping up all over in the market place for allergy sufferers, I guess we can credit the boom in movie stars and book authors touting the health benefits of avoiding the standard American diet [​IMG] I hope it continues!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes we used to use the organic tamari too back when we thought that organic soy didn't make him have the rash. It tastes great.

It is so nice to see that someone else has tried the coconut aminos as well, since I had never heard of it before doing an internet search! Thanks for posting![​IMG]

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We started with Bragg's liquid aminos but the coconut aminos are so much better! I am always on a quest to make familiar food and to add more whole foods into our diet, happy cooking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by