1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soy Based Chick and Layer Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

I've been reading some pretty nasty stuff about soy based chicken feed, that is all I've ever used, chick starter and layer, my chicks are from 3 weeks old to 8 mos old. What are your thoughts on this, I am willing to pay more for organic, non soy based feed but am having some trouble finding it. Anyone know of a good source. Everything I've been reading on the internet about the soy is that it's downright bad for them. Please let me know your opinions, many thanks.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  3. jaredkopy

jaredkopy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Fenton, MI
    Search around and see if there are any farms in your area that sell feed. I finally found one that sells organic feed, all kinds (with roasted soy, without soy, mixed w/molasses, layer mix, grower mix, etc..). I have to drive about 2 hours to get to it but they only charge $17 per 50# bag so I figure it's worth it compared to other places I've found that ship it and charge $25-$45 per 50# bag. I make the trip every 6-8 weeks and pick up 250# worth. My birds seem to love it. I found it by searching online for organic feed retailers then found this place. It's a small family farm but it's pretty well known locally for their organic products.

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I have found organic feed, but it's got soy in it.

To make sure my birds get animal protein I feed a gamebird mix.

5. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone. Jared copoy--where is this farm located where you get the feed?

6. Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion

Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Quote:http://www.MagillRanch.com
    MagillRanch.com has no-soy and no corn organic feed. They're out of a little town just a few miles south of The Dalles, Oregon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We feed the soy free organic feed through Azure standard.

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

First, take a deep breath.

Millions, no Billions of chickens and turkeys are fed feeds with soy as the main protein source. If your birds are performing well for you, are healthy, and you are happy with them don't change a thing with your feeding program.

Jim

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

First, take a deep breath.

Millions, no Billions of chickens and turkeys are fed feeds with soy as the main protein source. If your birds are performing well for you, are healthy, and you are happy with them don't change a thing with your feeding program.

Jim

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winning reply here!​

10. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Quote:Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winning reply here!

Just because your birds appear healthy on the outside it does not necessarily mean that they are healthy on the inside......... About 50% of hens develop ovarian cancer! Soy has both positive and NEGATIVE health effects in humans, and is particularly implicated in several reproductive issues. It makes you wonder if the very high amount of soy (in proportion to everything else) in many commercial feeds may have something to do with this problem in chickens. Particularly as it is virtually impossible to find non- GM soy (which is another arguement all together !). Just my 2 cents worth [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by