Soy Free non pellet verses Scratch???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pjknust, Jul 17, 2011.

1. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Ive been reading not to feed too much Scratch because they dont need it. Also read it makes them hot in the summer (that doesnt make sense to me)
    Anyway, also see that the Organic Soy Free feed is mostly Grain which would equal SCRATCH /Grains.

So what is the difference in feeding the Soy Free and Scratch , if they are both mostly GRAINS, not counting the fact that its Soy Free? Or even if you are making your own food with mixing whatever grains you choose?? Its still "Scratch" isnt it?
    Am I making this question clear as mud???

pam in TX

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    All feed has ingredients such as corn and wheat that are also in scratch. The mash feed also has calcium & a premix with vitamins and such. When you are told not to feed more than 10% scratch, they are referring to plain grains that are not balanced with the additions and that are usually only 8-9% protein. The difference is the mash is a balanced ration if they eat all the ingredients with the correct amount of protein etc. where scratch is not. That's what is funny when people say corn is not healthy etc., because many feeds have a good portion of corn in them. It depends on how the corn is balanced with other ingredients.

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    thank you Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by