Soy seal for wood in run?

Kera

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
We are getting ready to build our coop. We are planning to build a coop with attached run, and will be painting the coop itself, but didn't want to paint the run.
I am concerned about using a sealant that is not non-toxic, my children will be eating the hens' eggs and the coop is in the garden near our vegetables. I also do not want to use treated lumber.

Has anyone used soy seal? http://www.amazon.com/Soy-Seal-Wood-Sealer-Waterproofer/dp/B0054653QG
Are there other stains or sealants that are safe?
Any other suggestions or advice?

Should I just break down and paint the run too?
Thanks!

Soybeans aren't waterproof, and you'd have to keep redoing it

Product Features

• Natural Soy Products Soy Seal Wood Sealer & Waterproofer
  • Safe, Biodegradable, Highly effective, Soy Based
  • Non-Toxic, Environmentally Friendly, soap and water cleanup
  • 24 month seal, renewable resource, spreads water (doesn't bead)

I know. 24 months is not a long time.
Is there anything that is nontoxic, safe, waterproof, long lasting?

I found Timber Pro UV, but when you look at their website they don't list prices. You are asked to fill out an order form and then they'll tell you how much it costs..... I thought that was odd.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks!
I hadn't thought of that--

What would be better for the kids, hens and garden (the coop runs along side the garden):
treated lumber or untreated lumber that is stained and sealed, or untreated lumber that is painted?

It's not cheap, and it's harder to work with than treated lumber
I have to disagree with the last part of your statement. This stuff cuts like Butter, and machines to a very smooth finish.
I have used it on a couple of projects, and wish that it was more affordable so I could use it more.

Thompson's Water Seal needs to be re-applied about every other year also...
I would think that the Soy based product is just another "Green" product that
is just an Oil based product.

It would be no better or worse than the Thompson's. Thompson's is mostly wax
in a solvent base. The solvent keeps the wax dissolved until the solvent evaporates.

Thanks!
I think we have decided to go with stained and Thompsons.

Penofin when applied properly is safe to use even on raised beds. Numerous experts have tested for leeching and you can google results. When applied property (brush on, rag excess off) it works great. We have this on our house, our chicken run and on our raised beds. It goes into the wood and does not stay on the surface. It penetrates the wood. The five year lasts about three realistically.

Back
Top Bottom