Soybean protien

squiqwe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Cortland,Ohio
idunno.gif
I read that soybean products can interfere with digestion in chickens. Is that correct?
I started my girls on purina start and grow but when I looked on the bag for nutritional infomation they gave a web address for detailed information http://www.poultrynutrition.com/. I searched that site and found their detailed info for start and grow and it did not offer detailed info specfically where the protien was derived from. They then tell you to contact the manufacturing plant. Their webpage containing that comment is below;

http://www.poultrynutrition.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/StartGrow/default.aspx
ANIMAL PROTEIN–AND FAT-FREE. Contact your local manufacturing plant for a current feed tag.

Maybe this is not that imprtant but it is to me. Can some one set me straight. Should I steer away from feeding my girls protien derived from soybean. I guess souybean is used a lot because of it's high protien content but if I'm am correct it is not complete protien so they add the missing elements? Correct?

Last edited:
Raw soy has a protein inhibitor. Roasted or expelled soybean meal does not have this inhibitor. I think it is safe to say soy protein is the #1 source of protein in commercial animal feed. It is also found in many unsuspecting human foods.

I do not like getting the "run around" on what is in my food or in my animals food.. Many people use Purina feeds with results they are very happy with. I do not think you need to worry, unless you are apposed to the Purina company or other issues relating to soy.
I personally avoid soy and Purina.. (But I am an organic/sustainable local agriculture "activist",,)
wink.png

ON

My wife and I are trying to go as organic as possible with or flock. We have 9 girls so having such a small flock we can do more with their feed. But we don't know much. We are trying to figure it out but it just seems overwelming. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated
clap.gif

As far as what is in feed, I think someone said "Plant protein products" denotes soy protein, so if it is higher on the list of ingredients, it has more soy. There are many brands of organic feed such as Nature's Best from PA. Organic feed is usually twice as expensive as regular. Some have been able to find local mills that can at least make GMO free feed. I am able to get a soy free feed now from a local Amish farmer. This feed is transitional organic, but I feel very lucky. Don't know if you want soy free, but I believe Helfter Feed is in Ohio & they have soy-free feed. I found my farmer through Fertrell Minerals. He makes feed using their minerals. Go to Fertrell.com & see if there are any Fertrell Dealers in your area that may also make feed. I can also get a regular soy based feed from the farmer. Just ask around. Hope this helps.

Plant Protein would be (Cottonseed meal, linseed meal, soybean meal, soybeans (heat processed), yeast (cultured).

On a feed tag the first ingredient is the greatest amount and the last ingredient is the least amount.

Chris

Quote:
A lot is going to depend on what you can find in your region. Making up your own whole grain feed is a major commitment. Finding an organic feed that has both fish meal and plant protein at a price that is not more than 30% higher than non organic may be a way to go if organic is important to you.

Chris09 is in Ohio too. Chris likes pigeon feeds. I do not think they are organic, but the mixtures of grains seem to stand out as wholesome and high quality blends.

ON

We are not committed to either going organic or non-organic however we are committed to trying to provide the best care. We love our girls and we want the best for them. This is our hobby.

We read that the average chicken lays for about 3 to 4 years. We challenged ourselves if we pay attention to the details they may produce beyond the average. I found a Fertrell Dealer close so we are going to check them out. Thanks ev1
bow.gif

Google search "Soy Dangers...then make a choice.

I would also avoid cotton seed as well, since a majority of cotton and soy are GMO. Corn is becoming more and more GMO as well.

Quote:
A lot is going to depend on what you can find in your region. Making up your own whole grain feed is a major commitment. Finding an organic feed that has both fish meal and plant protein at a price that is not more than 30% higher than non organic may be a way to go if organic is important to you.

Chris09 is in Ohio too. Chris likes pigeon feeds. I do not think they are organic, but the mixtures of grains seem to stand out as wholesome and high quality blends.

ON

I do like using Pigeon Feed. What I get isn't Organic but it is good quality grain with no dust..
Right now I use a 14% Maintenance (W/Corn) and like it a lot.
Now they do make Pigeon feed that is higher in protein and you can get it with or with out corn (some use yellow corn others will use popcorn) and I have never seen or heard of soy being used in the "All Grain" mix's so that is a big plus..

This is the reading on my tag..
• Maintenance - 14% Protein - W/Corn
Contains: Canada Peas, Milo, Whole Wheat, Small Yellow Corn, Safflower Seed, Maple Peas, Flax, Brown Rice, Vetch, Buckwheat,
Oat Groats.
Crude Protein (min) 14.0% Crude Fat (min) 2.0% Crude Fiber (max) 9.0%
Now to the above mix I add Black Oil Sunflower seed and from time to time Hemp seed.

Here are some others that I have in the past.

• Racing Pigeon - 21.5% Protein - NO CORN
Contains: Canada Peas, Maple Peas, Safflower, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, White Kafir, Red Milo, Vetch.
Crude Protein (min) 21.5% Crude Fat (min) 4.0% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

• Breeder/Conditioner - 16% Protein - NO CORN
Contains: Canada Peas, Red Milo, White Kafir, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, Safflower Seed, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Vetch, Buckwheat, Rice.
Crude Protein (min) 16.0% Crude Fat (min) 3.5% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

Chris

I found a multi-grain scratch at the local coop. Cracked corn,milo,wheat and oats. And we plan to get their protien primarly from cat food and clover. How's that sound? I'm trying to work out the percentages now while their still on starter. Their 6 weeks old so I still have time. Thanks for all the comments .
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom