sp;raying for roaches?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grammaschicks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. grammaschicks

grammaschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Can I spray for roaches in and out of my chicken and goose coop? When I open the doors in the morning, it is disgusting. At least 50-60 scatter everywhere. I don't eat my old chicken's occasional eggs anymore, since she has been getting into the medicated chick starter for the pullets. So not worried about that. Wondering if it will make the birds sick. There is a nest of eggs in the goose coop - think that will hurt the goose eggs?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would personally not use any pesticides near my birds. Could you get an insect trap? They can often work just as well

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sprinkle sevin dust in the coop, that'll knock them down. It wont hurt the chickens neither.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dawg53 is correct in saying that it is not harmful to your birds, however Sevin dust is highly toxic to just about everything else, including you, the bees and any other pets you may have. There is also some evidence that it may be carcinogenic as well as poisonous.

There is a long thread here at BYC on the subject of Sevin Dust:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/83208/seven-dust-for-dust-baths

I won't say I never use it, but I've had the same 5# bag for about 4 years and it's only about half empty (or full depending on your outlook). [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're lucky to have a 5 pound bag. They only sell it in canisters now...some stupid government regulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by