Space for 25 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maidservant, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Ok, so I've ordered 25 Ameraucana chicks and I'm going to pick them up from the hatchery on the 13th of March. The most chicks I've ever had before was 10.

I'm trying to figure out how big of an area they need for a brooder. I have a few different options where I don't have to buy/spend anything. I have a large indoor rabbit cage (its about 4 ft long and 2 1/2 ft wide), I have aquariums of all sizes (up to 55 gallon), and I have an outdoor rabbit cage made of 1"x1" welded wire with a drop tray under it. The outdoor rabbit cage is 3 1/2 ft x 2 ft. I like the idea of the indoor rabbit cage the best so far because I wouldn't have to worry about them scratching as much stuff out, plus there would be plenty of circulation for them.

I have lights of all watages (due to the different reptiles I own) and plenty of fixtures. I also have a 150 watt ceramic heater that I'm going to see if I can get the right temp in the brooder for nighttime use.

Oh, forgot to add, the 10 chicks that I'm accustomed to having have always been bantams, and I'm getting standards.

Thanks!!!
    Emily in NC

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you are brooding until fully feathered you will need at least 25 square feet. 5 x 5

Best to put bulbs to one side. That way chicks can self regulate their temperature.

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I'm probably only going to be brooding for three weeks, then they will go outside in a run. They will only go out if I feel like the weather will be warm enough for them. I live in North Carolina, and the weather is typically warm enough for them by the end of March/beginning of April. They will still have heat if they want it, and they will be brought inside if it gets too cool. That's what we have done with Bantam chicks before. I know nothing about standards though. I know that they are bigger and I am assuming would be able to regulate their temperature sooner.

I'm open to any suggestions!

I don't have the space right now indoors for anything bigger than the indoor rabbit cage. I do have a feed building outside that I could put something in that was bigger, but it has a bad habit of having rats in it, so I would rather not have anything in it. And, no, I'm not keeping feed in it any more. That's just what we've always called it, much like the "goat building" hasn't had any goats in it for 8 years.

Thanks,
    Emily

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine right now are inside in a plastic storage bin. My last batch it was a small batch lived in the garage in the lundry sink.

I also use my collapsible puppy play yard. I use to have a picture of it but I can not find it. I lined the sides of the pen with chicken wire to keep the chicks in. It works really well. I'll set it up in the garage and use it again for these guys once they get a few days older.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My first every batch of 25 (day 3) are currently brooding happily in a 3x3 box with a wire cover to keep the dogs at bay. I have created a larger set up in the basement for when they get a bit bigger. This is all a first try, but so far it seems to be working

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by