space for 26 peeps???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vtgirls, Jan 7, 2011.

1. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    I have a newly built coop - two story, upstairs being walled, roost bars, 4 nest boxes and the downstairs is like a covered run with roost bar. There will be a covered, permanent run attached as well this spring. At night the hens will all be locked in the two story coop. During the day they will have access to the run and free range (weather permitting -usually 4 hours or so a day)
    So my coop is 5x7, giving me 35 square feet, not including nesting boxes, on each level. Is this enough space for 26 chickens?
    This is the coop:
    [​IMG]
    This is the backside of the coop with a temoprary tractor hitched up as a winter run.
    [​IMG]

2. ther00ster'scr0w

ther00ster'scr0w Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area CA
    thats a nice looking coop!

personally I think that 26 chickens would be uncomfortable and maybe unhealthy for the chickens, but I think that coop can hold as much as 13 or 14 standard sized chickens

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Not even close to enough room. Standard size chickens need 4 sq ft. each and bantams need 2 sq ft each.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    Sorry - failed to note - 20 standard hens, 6 cochin. How much sq ft per cochin? Same?
    Perhaps we will add on - oughta make the poor hubby a lil grouchy since he's just finished this one!

5. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Some of it depends on the size of your run, but I agree there is not enough space for 26 chickens. I have a 4x6 raised coop in a 8x8 ft run. If you figured 4 ft per bird, I could only have 6. I actually have 14 chickens, but they are allowed to free-range from 8 or 9am until they put themselves to bed at night. There is plenty of room for them all to sleep in there- & I could probably get away with a couple more. If they were staying in the run most of the day, I think the calculations of 4 sq ft per bird in the house & 10 sq ft per bird in the run would be more appropriate, & therefore no more than 6 birds.

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Since you live in a 4-season climate your birds will spend more time in the coop than they would in some other climates. Therefore I would suggest that you have at least 4 sq ft per bird, probably more. I bought an 8 x 10 shed at the local hardware store and it has worked out quite well for my flock of 25.

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:your coop size 35sq ft /4 ft = 9 birds per level but all of them will be roosting on the second level anyways
    but personal i would only have 7 birds in that small area
    standard hens, are large bird so they will need 4ft sq per bird

How much sq ft per cochin? at least 4 sq ft

your run or pen size need to 10sq per bird. or free range all day long to dark

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. I think that coop would cramp em (26) up a bit. Especially since you have some snowy weather, you want as big of a coop as you can possibly give them. Strictly for roosting space you could probably squeeze em in but that is not the best way to care for 26 birds. Oh, and they will either need lots of free range time or a very big run. Wish you the best.

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Quote:If you have 70 feet 35 on two levels and she has 80 I think you are both alittle short you dont want them to hurt each other, or get sick you need 10x10 for 25 chickens with a 25x10 run or 250 sq ft runn...but I think that a good home is better than were they would be if you didnt have them so do your best but they say that is the standard for all spoild byc.( I mean that in a goood loving way)

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Pretty cramped....but really really cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by