Space for duckies??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cuqui18, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    so if i let my ducks (2 cayugas, i dont have them yet but hopefully soon! i will hatch them first) out into their pen in the AM, and then out to forage free range in my yard with supervision for a while when i get home and then they sleep in their dog house in my yard, how big does the day pen need to be??? like how much space is necessary per duck?thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    There are minimum suggested requirements - but it is better to make them as big as possible with the space you have available- and what you can afford to safely fence off. A day pen is likely to get very muddy if too small- so having a good size- will decrease the amount of cleaning up you will have to do.

3. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    Quote:i have an area in my backyard that is overwhelmed by cedar trees-literally a WALL like the green monster is what we call it (Fenway park anyone??? [​IMG] ) but when you walk into them, its almost hallow inside...like it opens up once you get past the foliage and i was thinking of putting the pen in there because they would have a lot of natural shelter from rain and snow and wind, but would have time in the sun hen i get home, and that way my mom wont freak with a giant pen in our yard as she is actually trying to make our yard look presentable this spring [​IMG] i could probably do a pen 10x5 ft or so??? depends how much it costs as well [​IMG]

4. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    10x5 sounds good. That's 25 sq ft per duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by