Space for Partridge Wyandotte Bantams???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by urbanfarmers, Jul 20, 2010.

1. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    We have our Wy's in with the other chickens but they are really getting picked on so I would like to make another coop and run but I'm not sure how much space I would need per chicken. Could I get away with a dog house and then just add a run to it??

2. Dorte

Dorte Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    I really don't know this, but since no one else will answer it I'll tell you what I remember reading and give your post a bump.

The space requirements for bantams I believe is half that of standard breeds which means 2 sq. feet per bird. If your dog house is large enough you can convert it I guess, you can find lots of inspiration in here for how to do it.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I use doghouses sometimes for quarentine. I follow for my cochin bantams 2 inside, 5 outside. My girls are about to have a 2x3 tractor for the two of them.

4. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Thanks so much for the replies. 2 square feet isn't much at all. Now I need to decide if I'm going to make a separate coop/run for my Wy's or if I should just keep them in with the other chickens. They are getting picked on a lot and it bothers me. [​IMG] We are also going to be making an incubator and attempt to hatch some eggs...half our flock is going to camp in a few months. I was just thinking my Wy's could use a new coop until the chicks come and then they can let the new chicks use the new house. Decisions, decisions! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: