Space required for chooks

mags6999

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Hiya

Me again!!!

We have an external coop (omlet go up) and run 1m x 3m with three chooks (sadly lost one last weekend). We are going to get some more chooks. We have an extended run (outside of the omlet run) of 3m x 4m. how many chooks would that hold, please? Ideally we would like to get another 4 or chooks, but foremost I want them to be happy and not claustrophobic. I've tried to researc this and can't get to grips with so many sq.ft. per chook.. I know you will be able to advise (as you have in the past). Also would an eglu go house 5 chooks if they have the run mentioned above during the day?

We both work during the day so in the summer chooks will be out to free range every evening, but during winter only weekends for, I'm sad sorry to say for about 45mins before we get cold,

Any advice would be welcome. We are in Kent, England and are thinking of buy chooks around end March.

Also... we have been advised to bring in younger chooks (16 weeks) to our year old chooks.

Awaiting your advice.

Mags x

Sorry also wanted to add... what's the max amount of chooks we could house? I'm thinking of another five.... but as I said in earlier post don't want to overcrowd them.

Also, I've read somewhere that we should have somewhere for the newbies to run to. What would that be?

Sorry also wanted to add... what's the max amount of chooks we could house? I'm thinking of another five.... but as I said in earlier post don't want to overcrowd them.

Also, I've read somewhere that we should have somewhere for the newbies to run to. What would that be?

Here is a conversion chart.http://www.calit2.net/~jschulze/misc/spinoff/metric-conversion.htm The amount of square meters/feet that are available to your chooks is what determines your limit.
smile.png

Thanks Chillin

I'm being totally senior/blonde.... measurements are good but I can't understand them lol.. We would like to get another five chooks but i don't want there to be to many for the run hence my question.

Thankyou for your answer though

Thanks Chillin

I'm being totally senior/blonde.... measurements are good but I can't understand them lol.. We would like to get another five chooks but i don't want there to be to many for the run hence my question.

Thankyou for your answer though

ok 4feet wide by 4 feet long equals 16 sq feet. so say; 3m x 3m = 9 square meters. think of the space you are measuring/picturing like a frame or floor tile. Mybe you can calculate in feet then use conversion chart to get your total dimensions. Or consult the nearest math nerd or carpenter!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom