Space requirements for Freedom Rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wholehearted, May 19, 2011.

1. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm getting ready to order more Freedom Rangers. We are four weeks into our first batch and pondering how many to do next time. Since we haven't finished raising our first batch yet, I'm unsure how much their space requirements will be toward the end. We have an 8x8 tractor surrounded by Premier Poultry Netting. We have two nets so we can either set it up as 25x25 or 50x50 ft. How many Rangers could we reasonably do in this amount of space? I want to make sure to consider times when they may have to be in the tractor only (night and/or inclement weather).

2. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm watching this post because I've asked this question as well and not gotten a satisfactory response...

3. geeky_farmer

geeky_farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    This depends on so many things.

The quality of the pasture, the age of your chicks,your tolerance for destroying the pasture, how often you are willing to move the pens and how much the chickens move...

25x25 is only 625 square feet - maybe 100 chickens if you are willing to move the pens often...

We just put 100 - 10 week old pullets on a pasture about that big, and in three days the 5 x 5 area by the door is already dirt.

If you move daily you could do a couple hundred in that area...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by